custom macbook at Apple Retail Store

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by actorkid, Mar 9, 2008.

1. actorkid macrumors 6502

Ill be purchasing a Blackbook very soon and I can't freaking wait to get my hands on my first Mac. My question is as to whether or not the Apple store carries different configurations of notebooks rather than only the base versions.

So will I be able to go to the Apple Store and buy lets say a blackbook with the 200 gb 7200 rpm HDD or more 4 GB RAM etc?

It's not a big deal to order it online, but I would prefer to just pick it up right then and there.

thanks a lot!

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

The store only carries the base configurations, but if you plan to upgrade the RAM don't buy it from Apple.

3. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

There is no 200GB 7200RPM, you could install that yourself.

4. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

i just bought this 200gb 7200 RPM drive on newegg. its 139.99 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145160.

Though, your most cost effective option is to buy the lowest MacBook, and then upgrade it yourself. You will save hundreds. I own a BlackBook and I admit to paying the ~$200 premium SIMPLY for the color.

5. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

you mean $100, the other $100 is for the HD.

6. priller macrumors regular

There isn't $100 difference between the price of a 160GB & 250GB hard drive.

7. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

I realized there really isnt much that is customizable on the blackbook (only on the white macbook) so i think i may just get the base version at the apple store and buy 4 gigs of RAM elsewhere...

i would think that apple would sell a few upgraded ram or HDD macbooks at the stores though...it saves customers the hassle of waiting for the macbook to arrive, plus allows the same privilege of the free hard-drive transfer that you get when buying straight from the mac store.

8. youradhere4222 macrumors 6502

I understand they only have base models - but does this mean they don't carry the black models?

I'd actually like to buy the base 2.4GHz White MacBook - with the 2GB of memory, 160GB HD, etc.

Would they have this?

9. rhyx macrumors 6502

They have the 3 models that are shown on the online store.

Yours is one of those models so yes.

10. Macintosh Sauce macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

Buy it from Amazon because they have rebates for even the new MacBooks. Also, no sales tax! :) I ordered a black MacBook from them with a $100 rebate and no sales tax - cheaper than I would have got for an educational purchase with sales tax.