Custom MBP configurations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coxsone, Aug 18, 2015.

1. coxsone macrumors newbie

Hi all - is the Apple Store the only place where I can find a customized MBP? I'm looking for a 13" retina MBP that has the max 16MB RAM but don't want/need to spend more on a larger drive.
    Am I stuck buying such a device from the Apple Store?

2. Summersify macrumors member

If you live in or around London, Harrods sells a couple of different upgraded variants of MacBook Pros. They would be a good place to go!

3. dano0726 macrumors newbie

Have you tried BH Photo/Video? That's where I bought my 2015 rMBP with 16 gigs of RAM and 128 GB SSD (cheaper than anywhere I could find + no sales tax + quick overnight shipping)

4. mfram macrumors 65816

You won't find that configuration in an Apple Store either. You will likely have to order from Apple online.

5. coxsone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'm in the U.S. and will check BH Photo.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're stuck with ordering online if you want anything other than the configurations shown on the Apple website. I thought this was common knowledge.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

Try "portableone.com".

I bought my late 2012 Mini from them, very fast service, and they seem to offer the ability to order custom configurations as well.

No financial interest, just a satisfied customer.

8. coxsone thread starter macrumors newbie

@snaky69 - yeah, I guess I misspoke when I said Apple Store. I took "Apple Store" to mean buying directly from Apple, whether online or bricks-and-mortar. I meant buying from Apple's online store. I suppose my last line should have said "buying such a device directly from Apple" or something.

@Fishrrman - I'll check that out. Thanks.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If you don't need SSD space I can't imagine any use case where you would need 16GB of RAM.

Check here it is most likely a waste of money getting the extra 8GB.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-much-ram-do-i-need-in-my-macbook.1756865/

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Just buy the base model and configure it with 16GB straight off the Apple website. That and going used is just about the only way you'll be able to do what you want.