Custom NAS Built

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Crzyrio, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

So I have done a lot of research on this and find the build to order NAS, although easier to use and built solid dont have much flexibility so I have decided to build my own. Here is what I have on the build so far.

Intel Core i3-2120T -- Low power(35W) and also very capable -->http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115094CVF

Asus Motherboard -- 4 Sata Slots --Might change this to a board that supports raid --> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131860

Mushkin 16GB Ram --> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226261

A decent power supply giving me around 200W and 2 WD Red's 3TB to start with :)

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236344.

BUT THE BIG QUESTION! Freenas or Windows Server?

Freenas will be a heck of a lot easier to manage and the web interface is a nice touch.

Windows Server will allow me to run iTunes to stream to my apple tv. It will also allow me to run bit torrents and if need be I can use remote desktop to control it.

Also I would think freenas would keep the cpu load at a minimum and save me some power?

Thoughts?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why not just buy a NAS? Small package, reliable, also do torrents and usually run on very low power.

3. Crzyrio thread starter macrumors 65816

Buying a Synology 2 Bay NAS will cost me 210+ and I am very limited with it.

Building my own gives me a MUCH more powerful machine and I am able to keep adding more to it for roughly the same price.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Been there done that, now I use a Synology NAS and couldn't be happier. Far less futzing around and it simply works. How much is your DIY costing you? How much power does it consume?

What are you hoping FreeNAS or Windows server (not cheap) will do that the Synology NAS won't?

5. Crzyrio thread starter macrumors 65816

To each his own :)

It will cost me approximately 280$ excluding the drives. And it gives me the option of adding up to 6 more Harddrives and I'm pretty sure I will get much better performance out of custom built and a heck of a lot more customizability depending on my needs.

Just the option for adding Plugins and your own scripts on FreeNas makes it a winner for me. (not necessarily for you). Windows server will give me the ability to keep iTunes running in the background and let me stream files to Apple tv with no fuss. I get Windows server free from my university so I dont take a hit ;)

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

If you want to build yourself (understand the fun doing so) I would go with FreeBSD (or Linux) and Plex for example to stream DRM-free content. You might want to look into ZFS as filesystem.

The ATV is a bit disturbing in this setup. You would need to JB that one to be able to stream to it without iTunes. If you depend on ATV and streaming via iTunes the Windows way is easier.

7. Crzyrio thread starter macrumors 65816

Yup, FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD and does most of the work. It is also zfs based.

I have the ATV3 so going to have to wait for a JB :p

8. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

If you have you could go a little detour via iPod touch. Plex to iPod; share via ATV to big screen. Until JB is around. Or if you have a smart TV it might can get DNLA stream direct from Plex.

When using ZFS don't put additional RAID in between; ZFS want to make the management itself. I'm new to ZFS and just learning right now but it looks nice.

9. Crzyrio thread starter macrumors 65816

Im hoping the JB will come out by the time I end up building this.

Yeah, thats what I heard. The board doesnt support it so I should be fine.

Also I have a AMD Sempron 3000+ with 1.5GB ram that is very old. It is used by my parents just for email, browzing and the odd encode and burn video.

Would the i3 be sufficient to be used as a file server and allow for basic use once in awhile? I would have to go for Windows server if I did do this