Custom navigation bar not working on iOS 5

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by SimonBS, Jun 7, 2011.

1. SimonBS, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011

SimonBS macrumors regular

SimonBS

Hello,

I just updated my iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 and my Xcode to Xcode 4.3 with SDK 5. I did this to test if my applications are all working properly on iOS 5 and it turns out that my custom navigation bar is not looking correct.

I have attached two images showing how it is supposed to be (the orange bar from iOS 4.3) and how it is in iOS 5 (the one with the blue navigation bar)

When running the application I get two errors in the console:

Code:
    *** ImageIO - could not find ColorSync function 'ColorSyncProfileCreateWithName'
    *** ImageIO - could not find ColorSync function 'ColorSyncProfileCopyData'
    I am not sure what these errors means.

Here is my code for the custom navigation bar and how I am setting the title on top of it.

In CustomUINavigationBar.h:

Code:
    #import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

@interface CustomUINavigationBar : UINavigationBar {

}

@end
    In CustomUINavigationBar.m:

Code:
    #import "CustomUINavigationBar.h"

@implementation UINavigationBar (CustomImage)
    - (void)drawRect:(CGRect)rect {
        UIImage *image = [UIImage imageNamed:@"UINavigationBar_Background.png"];
        [image drawInRect:CGRectMake(0, 0, self.frame.size.width, self.frame.size.height)];
    }
    @end
    This is how I add the title in the ViewController.m:

Code:
    // Setting top title
    [self setTitle:@"Program"];
    UILabel *titleView = [[UILabel alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(0, 0, self.navigationController.navigationBar.frame.size.width, self.navigationController.navigationBar.frame.size.height)];
    [titleView setText:@"Festivalens Program"];
    [titleView setBackgroundColor:[UIColor clearColor]];
    [titleView setFont:[UIFont fontWithName:@"Arial-BoldMT" size:21.0]];
    [titleView setShadowColor:[UIColor colorWithRed:1 green:0.854 blue:0.592 alpha:1]]; // Light orange
    [titleView setShadowOffset:CGSizeMake(0, -1)];
    [titleView setTextAlignment:UITextAlignmentCenter];
    [titleView setTextColor:[UIColor blackColor]];
    [[self navigationItem] setTitleView:titleView];
    [titleView release];

Attached Files:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Seems it's trying to do some sort of ColorSync operation (obvious). Can you, perhaps, strip the colour profile from the image in question?

3. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate it? :eek:

4. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

If im not mistaking, he meant, take the RGB color from the picture, and set it with hand :)
    [UIColor colorWITHRGB something.];

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The colour profile embedded in the image is used by ColorSync to perform colour matching. As that appears to be the problem removing any colour profile might fix it.

Try the command-line sips tool with the --deleteColorManagementProperties option...

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Nope. I'm pretty sure the ColorSync errors prevent the image loading at all so you can't take the colour from it. If the OP tested whether image was nil before drawing I expect it would be.

7. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

I just tried the following:

Code:
    Simon-Stvrings-iMac:navigationbar simonstoevring$ sips --deleteColorManagementProperties UINavigationBar_Background.png
    /Users/simonstoevring/Dropbox/Xcode/NibeFestival-2012/resources/NavigationBar/UINavigationBar_Background.png
      /Users/simonstoevring/Dropbox/Xcode/NibeFestival-2012/resources/NavigationBar/UINavigationBar_Background.png
    Simon-Stvrings-iMac:navigationbar simonstoevring$ sips --deleteColorManagementProperties UINavigationBar_Background@2x.png
    /Users/simonstoevring/Dropbox/Xcode/NibeFestival-2012/resources/NavigationBar/UINavigationBar_Background@2x.png
      /Users/simonstoevring/Dropbox/Xcode/NibeFestival-2012/resources/NavigationBar/UINavigationBar_Background@2x.png
    Then I removed the images from my Xcode project and added them again but it makes no difference.

8. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

I just tried removing my custom navigation bar class (CustomUINavigationBar.m and CustomUINavigationBar.h) from the project but I still get the errors in the console.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Is anything else not working? If not then perhaps the console messages are not a big problem. Of course that would not explain why your custom nav bar is not working.

10. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

Well my last tab (the one with three dots and says "Mere") does not working. When pushing it nothing happens. It's just linked to a view controller with a table view. Besides that everything else seems to work.

11. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

You may want to discuss this on the Apple developer forums; remember that iOS 5 is under an NDA.

12. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

13. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

There are some comments in the release notes about changes regarding categories on UINavBar. In short there's a more compatible way to get a custom appearance for a navbar.

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I said you could ask if it wasn't under NDA. I did not say it was or wasn't, although I specifically said "not iOS 5.0". You then went and posted an issue only occurring on iOS 5.0. I would consider that to be under NDA.

15. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

Ah, I just checked it.

But I thought I did subclass the UINavigationBar and override the drawRect: subclass? :confused: Sorry, I'm still a bit green to iOS development.

16. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood you then.

17. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

A category is not a subclass. The apple guys have always said that overriding existing methods in a category is "bad." I understand that if there doesn't seem to be another way and it seems to work with no problems then one may still do "bad" things. But they're still "bad." Anyway, figure out the "good" way to do this.

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Posting parts of the iOS 5.0 documentation is absolutely, 100%, breaking your NDA.

19. mms13 macrumors 6502

Yeah I noticed this in the Tweetbot app. After I upgraded to iOS 5 beta, their custom navigation bar's color was changed (looks bad now)