Custom New Folder Name

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by moonpixel, Jul 28, 2009.

1. moonpixel macrumors newbie

Looking for a way in Finder to change the name of every newly created folder, instead of "untitled folder".
    I have my naming convention using the date (090727-folder name). Looking for a way how the folder could be created with today's date as a prefix. So i don't have to type the date every time.
    (I am on Mac Mini OS X 10.4.11.)
    Thanks much for any advice.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I recommend using an AppleScript that when run will take the currently selected folder and add the date before the name.

If you can't find a script that does that, I'll write one up for you when I get home. You'll need to turn on the AppleScript icon in the menu bar though.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The strings file is in

Code:
    /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj
    If you search through the Localizable.strings file, you can change various finder strings including the "New Folder" name. However I'm not sure what the variable is for the date, or how you would format it. Maybe this can at least be a starting point for you.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Miles, you wouldn't know where the naming scheme for screenshots is located, would you? That system is what really needs dates in the file names.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The process is called "screencapture" but I can't find it anywhere. It's not in the Finder strings, apparently.

6. moonpixel thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks geoffreak sounds like a solution, could you please advise on how to do that?