Custom OS X install with recovery disc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Qusus, May 6, 2009.

1. Qusus macrumors member

I was installing a retail version of OS X the other day on a Dell Mini 9 and I realized you could customize the install by removing printer drivers and languages that you didn't want... saving about 8+ GB or so of space. I was wondering if the recovery disc that comes with our Air also allows us to customize what options we can include, assuming I do a fresh install. Anyone know? Thanks.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

3. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A300g Safari/525.20)

Yup it is definitely possible.
    I did a fresh install just last week with the CD and you can customize anything you want. Primarily I just removed the languages and some print drivers. It can save a lot of space. ;)

4. Qusus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. It does indeed save quite a bit of space, especially considering our small HDs.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm....

You can attempt to remove all the languages from the installation, unfortunately it doesn't actually work!! IF you goto international control panel, you can still select languages you've asked not to install. Best thing, IMO, if you wanna save space (how many people need more then two languages? really??) download a handy application called Monolingual and start removing system elements.

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I can speak 3 :p

Just checked your theory. I must have removed all but English, Spanish and German (my 3) because the rest of them aren't working (even though they are viewable, when I try to change one to my main language nothing happens)