Custom recovery partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MikeNL, Feb 29, 2012.

1. MikeNL macrumors newbie

Hey,

I work at a small company that sells refurbished mac products.
    We use DeployStudio to image all of our macs.

What i basically want to do is include a recovery partition that contains the full image that we use to install each Mac, and that the user can reset their mac on their own.

How can we achieve this? A neat clean second recovery partition that has a custom dmg.

I hope you can help me with this, i've been searching for some time now, but all the info i can find is about the OS X Lion recovery partition.

regards,
    Michael

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I don't know if this is such a good idea. Software update could come along and update your custom partition at any time. I suggest a separate partition with your customizations and a script the user runs after Lion recovery to bring back all your custom stuff.

3. MikeNL, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

MikeNL thread starter macrumors newbie

What would Software Update change on a partition it isn't running from?

I thought about using BaseSystem.dmg from Lion recovery, so the user can boot from that and use Disk Utility to restore the partition.

Maybe DeployStudio can be of any help?

regards,
    Michael

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I just had software update make changes on my 2010 mini to make it compatible with internet recovery (not that I would ever use it when I have bootable recovery usb sticks for both Lion and ML). The main OS is SL but I let the updates run while I was booted from my ML test partition. I wonder if it made changes to ML's recovery partition as part of that update? Perhaps not but I'm not sure.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"How can we achieve this? A neat clean second recovery partition that has a custom dmg."

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself, but...

.... doesn't the latest version of CarbonCopyCloner have a "block copy" option that can copy an entire partitioned drive (including the normally-hidden "recovery" partition)?

Could you have a "canned" source drive (recovery partition and all), and then use the block copy option of CCC to clone that drive to as many "target" drives as needed?