Custom Ringtone Sound Quality Degradation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Frieg, May 9, 2017.

1. Frieg macrumors newbie

Hi, i have a problem here that is nagging me for 2 hours straight now:

If i convert a mp3 file via itunes or any of the many ringtone apps to *.m4r and select the ringtone after synchronizing, the sound quality of the custom ringtone is x-times worse than the original file. i have renamed my file to *.m4a and added it to the music library on my iphone to test if my file was bad, to my surprise the file sounded just perfect with applee music via speaker and headphones. but if i play back the very same file via settings or call my own iphone, the file sounds totally crap, muffled (again via speaker and headphone) and just cheap.

i could reproduce this behaviour on my
    4s, ios 9.3.5
    5 and 5s with 10.2.1 and 10.3.1
    and 6 with 10.2.1

i have revorded a sample via the headphone jack plugged into line in on my pc. music playback and ringtone level were both set to max.
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00409699521395766437

ios seems to play a soundfile differently when it's set as ringtone.
    question is, is there a way to make custom ringtones sound decent on ios?

2. maxjohnson2, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017

maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

Seem like the audio on the second one somehow have much lower gains. I don't really use iTunes to do converting.

I suggest just use a different program to convert your file. There are many, but you can try WavePad. Under the "Level" tab, it also give options to Amplify, Normalize and Auto Gain which will help with the volume issue. It's a trial software, but you can convert the audio without paying by highlighting using CTRL+A (Command+A), then right click -> Save Selected Region As. It have the option for *.m4r, but you can also save as *.mp4 then manually rename the file to m4r.

3. Frieg thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, maybe i wasn't that clear.

BOTH files that sound different are identical, because i just changed the file ending vom m4a zu m4r and synced both.
    i have amplified the file in adobe audition by 4 db and the main problem, that ringtone playback sounds completely different still persists.