Custom Ringtones Borked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vegetassj4, Nov 4, 2017.

1. vegetassj4 macrumors regular

vegetassj4

I don't know if this is an issue with the iPhone X, iOS, iTunes, or a combination.

My ringtones did not carry over from 'restore from backup' to my new phone. I was able to add them later in the tones selection under the device in iTunes. However, when I decided to remove a ringtone from that same selection, it was removed from iTunes, but not from the phone (though it asked "Are you sure you want to remove the selected item from your iPhone?") even after a new sync.

If I add a new tone in iTunes, it adds it to the phone and removes all previous custom tones from the phone, but stills shows them as being on the phone in iTunes.

2. Stewie macrumors 6502

Stewie

I have noticed that this has been the case with the new iTunes version. Luckily there is a folder in the iTunes directory that has all your old tones that you can drag and drop to the phone.

I haven't experienced the removal of tones as I never remove them from the space they take up is near enough to nothing.

3. vegetassj4 thread starter macrumors regular

vegetassj4

Update: If I delete a tone in iTunes, then add a new one, it (the tone intended to be deleted) is then deleted from the phone as well...weird. In other words, it appears that it won't properly sync without a new tone addition.

the above "If I add a new tone in iTunes, it adds it to the phone and removes all previous custom tones from the phone, but stills shows them as being on the phone in iTunes." may have had to do with another setting I was trying.

4. Ntombi, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I just discovered this today. I use the phone so rarely that I only today had a contact call me. When it used my default ringtone, I investigated further and found that none of my custom ringtones were on the phone.

I too restored from a backup in iTunes. I’m annoyed.

ETA: I see this is not a bug, but a “feature” of the new iTunes. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-get-custom-ringtones-onto-x.2084275/