Custom ringtones in Itunes 8.2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EmptyWallet, Jun 19, 2009.

1. EmptyWallet macrumors regular

I've been doing this:

"Yes that's what I do. Export as mp3 convert to aac in itunes, then rename the extension from mp4a to mp4r and drop back into itunes.

itunes then creates a ringtone folder with your ringtones in it. "

And itunes created a new ringtone thing just below radion...but there's nothing there.

Any help?

EDIT - I am retarded and it should be .m4r

Go me.

2. SlapHammer macrumors newbie

When you change the song to a ringtone format it should read .m4r
    Second when you go to drop it into itunes be sure u drop it on the actual line that reads " Library" on the left column. It should automatically appear in your ringtones section of itunes. Hope this helps

David

3. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

yes yes that’s what I do too but do you ever get an msg that a ring tone did not copy but it still in the ring tone folder and is on my phone and works fine. I also have copy of the ring tones in a folder just in case when I sync the phone they don’t copy over anyone ever have this problem? So I put them on the desktop and the sync the phone and everthing works fine

4. mac disfunction macrumors newbie

AAC m4r file won't go into ringtone folder in 8.2

I've done it all...converted a 13 sec file to AAC, changed the file ext to m4r, imported it back in and it continued to drop into the music folder. I've even manually moved it from the music folder to the ringtones folder outside of iTunes but it doesn't show in ringtones in iTunes and when you click on the file outside of iTunes in the iTunes ringtones folder it immediately moves the file back to the music folder! What the heck?! It even shows in the summary window under 'kind' as a ringtone!

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You have the ringtone on your desktop, correct? What happens when you double click on it? That should add it to the ringtones folder.

6. mac disfunction macrumors newbie

Whoa. Did an extra step which worked

I guess I found a way around my own problem, but seems somewhat excessive. I did all the same steps leaving my file AAC converted, .m4r, but still in my music folder...only this time instead of moving from my music folder to the ringtones folder, I manually moved the file from the music folder to the desktop then from the desktop to the ringtones folder, then double click it and it showed up in ringtones in iTunes.

Way too many steps. If anyone has a more direct solution I would appreciate it.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Convert, drag to desktop, rename, doubleclick.

8. mac disfunction macrumors newbie

In my ringtones in iTunes, but won't load into iPhone

Okay, I'm getting closer, thanks. The files are now in iTunes under ringtones, yeah!

Now I connect my iPhone go under ringtones and click sync all ringtones or the individual tones, sync, and my new custom ringtones are not loading into the iPhone.

My old ones, however, are loading to the iPhone. I don't see any difference in the files accept that the old ones are FAAC encoded, and 8.2.1 when doing an AAC conversion labels the files 'iTunes encoded'

9. shrewd macrumors member

I have added a custom ringtone onto my 3GS.

I now want to delete it, anybody know how I do this?

10. throwbookatface macrumors member

I have my iTunes set to a couple settings that make his much easier: 1) automatically organize files, and 2) automatically make a copy of files I import. This way I double click new files/music on my desktop, it copies the file into the Appropriate category, and I delete the copy on my desktop knowing iTunes did the rest for me.

as far as custom ringtones go, this helps because after making the AAC version of my song, I right-click the new version in iTunes (helps if you organize songs by newly-added first), click "open containing folder", change the extension, and double click it again. This imports the file to the correct folder, then I delete the reference to the .m4a version of the file from my library. After this it should sync fine. Should work on both pc's and macs if the settings are correct.

With these settings it takes me about a minute or two a ringtones and can make about ten ringtones in fifteen minutes. Thank you, iTunes!