Custom Ringtones keep un-assigning from my contacts.......

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bonzox, Sep 19, 2008.

1. bonzox macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I have about 12 custom ringtones I created in Garageband, assigned them to 12 of my contacts.

Upgraded to 2.1 (I have an 8GB 3G), and the first time I got a call from one of my "custom" contacts, they had the default ringtone. I checked, and all of my "custom" contacts had the default ringtone all of a sudden. I reassigned them all, everything was fine for a couple of days.

A few days later, same thing, a "custom" contact had a default ringtone, checked, and they were all back to default. Did a restore on the phone after talking to Apple, I set it up as a New Phone, not restore from backup.

Reassigned all ringtones, now a few days after that, they are all back to custom. Phoned apple again, their advice, restore your phone and set it as a new phone, again. Helpful.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is this a bug in 2.1 or is my phone messed?

Thanks!

BTW I have a Macbook Pro, running OSX 10.5.5, iTunes 8.0

2. joshuaaaron macrumors member

do you use mobile me? cuz when i had mobile me it wiped my contacts frequently and would put them back on with out there ringtone

3. vitasenza macrumors member

I use outlook and have mobileme (for now) for contacts. When I first set up outlook, It kept changing the ringtones to default when I synced my contacts.
    I don't know if I did somthing to resolve it, or if it just stopped doing it, but my custom ringtones have stayed attatched to my contacts for quite a while now. I think I only really had problems the first couple of days of setting up my contacts in outlook.

4. bonzox thread starter macrumors newbie

lol well that went from bad to worse. I tried to do a system restore as I was advised, then when the phone restarted it just won't connect to my itunes.

After 2 hours on the phone with a rep trying to get it fixed, they have now come to the conclusion it's a hardware failure.

Looks like I'm getting a new phone........

5. greggov macrumors member

I too am having this disappearing ringtone problem. I notice it, then re-add the custom ringtone to the contact, and sometimes a few hours later, it resets itself to the default ringtone. This is really quite frustrating.

PowerBook G4 1.67, OS X 10.5.5, iTunes 8.0, iPhone 3G 2.1

Has anyone found a fix for this?

6. bonzox thread starter macrumors newbie

well they sent me a brand new phone, it hasn't done it since.

However, I stopped using mobileme, I think that was to blame. Could be wrong but I'm not sure.

7. wildmilne macrumors regular

i get this too. Wow all this time they havent caught that (if it's a mobile me bug). I guess ill have to turn that off (i only have the trial anyway).

8. ec51 macrumors 6502

This use to happen to me sometimes and I am using MM. However, after the 2.1 update it stopped.

9. zengod macrumors member

zengod

I am still getting this after 2.1 update - Using mobileme contacts sync on about four occasions now all my contact details disappear apart from the phone numbers but I can't tell whos number is whos. If I unmark contact sync and then turn it back on a couple of times they then reappear but custom ringtones are set back to default. :mad:

10. greggov macrumors member

I have 2.1 installed and this is still happening to me. I tried reassigning ringtones the other day, and sure enough, this morning everything is set back to default. Other than assigning the ringtones, I have not changed, added, or deleted any contacts in weeks. If I had to guess, since I dont know for sure, MM redownloads the address book daily (another assumption, since my ringtones wont stay more than 24 hours), thus setting default ringtones. Drives me absolutely nuts, especially since I'm paying a lot of money for all these services.

11. AIM RN macrumors newbie

Still having same problem... 3G, MacBook Pro, OSX 10.5.5, iTunes 8.0.2, mobile me

12. capt601 macrumors member

I had this problem last fall a couple of times, but it seemed to have went away, but just today it did it again.
    I do use mobile me. I am also going to send a comment to apple support on this and see if I hear anything.
    Does anyone know a fix for this?

thanks

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No news, but I'm someone else using MobileMe who had his ringtones un-synced 2 or 3 times.

I was using about 30 different ones, so eventually I said "screw it" and don't use ringtones anymore.

I submitted a comment to the iPhone people and to the iTunes people. Hopefully one of them will pay attention.

Ringtones should sync with the address book...it should be something you set there, just like you set phone numbers and e-mail addresses. That way, any problems can be fixed with a re-sync, unlike now where you're just screwed.

14. pavvento macrumors 6502

I remember reading somewhere that MobileMe does not have a ringtone field in its contact form, so that when it refreshes it does not put that information in. A simple fix is available, one would think...

However IMO this is just part of a bigger problem. MobileMe contact syncing is not true syncing. There are a few times a week when I'll take my phone out, and all my contacts will be gone, while it is 'syncing'. It simply wipes the list and then puts the new one in, as opposed to 'checking off' existing contacts and changing the ones that have been added or edited.