Custom Ringtones on iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Blaunerts, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Blaunerts macrumors regular

Blaunerts

I was wondering if there is anyway to get custom FREE ringtones for the iPhone in any way?
    Is there any programs that I can use instead of buying the tunes through iTunes?

Pls help...:p

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I think that you can still use Garage Band, I know that I did late last year. No idea if it still works with 2,0, though.

3. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

4. Blaunerts thread starter macrumors regular

Blaunerts

I forgot to mention that I have windows, no garage band on windows :(

5. madlymocha macrumors member

Ringtones

Hey there!

There's a great site zedge.net that has free ringtones, wallpapers, etc. You do have to sign up, the ringtones are sent directly to your phone through sms. I don't have an iPhone (11hrs to go) but I have a blackjack and it works beautifully.

6. dekk0r macrumors newbie

That was probably the most stupid thing you could have said in a thread about the iPhone 3G - just so you could get in a link to a website, one that you probably operate.

7. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

That was probably the most stupid thing you could have said in a thread about ringtones. This guy regularly posts here and this is his first time posting this website. In fact, he posted somewhere else on MR about line reports where he will get his iPhone on the 11th. This known, he probably doesn't know much about how iPhone ringtones work, and just wanted to post a good site (which I started using when I saw clicked his link.) Thanks dekk0r.

8. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yeah, I'm doing this as we speak actually. Here's how I'm doing it:

1. Pick a song from your iTunes Library you want to turn into a ringtone.
    2. Open up GarageBand, and create a new project (save as "Ringtone", etc.).
    3. Drag the song from your iTunes Library into the GarageBand window.
    4. Edit the song and choose the section(s) that you want to have played.

I usually take the good part(s) of the song and edit them together at the beginning of my track. My phone rings for about 20 seconds before going over to voicemail, so I try to fit the good part of the songs in the first 20 seconds of my track in GarageBand.

5. Go to Share menu > Export Song to Disk. Save song as an AAC file on Desktop.
    6. Select song file on Desktop, rename the file to "NAMEOFSONG.m4r" (obviously... replace with the name of the song, and remove the quotes).
    7. Double-click the file, which will add it in iTunes.

Sync your iPhone, and the song will be copied over to your ringtones settings! :)

9. ajl917 macrumors 6502

Could anyone post intstructions on how to do it through Windows?

I have a 32 second, m4r format song that is in my ringtones section in iTunes. I have it checked to sync to my iPhone 3G. It says it syncs, but never appears there. Im new to this because before, I just used SSH to install the ringtone. What am I doing wrong?

10. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

OK, I did this last year with no problems on my iPhone Gen1. Now, I am not able to get it to work. I get all the way to relabeling the AAC file on my desktop (it then shows "RING" on the icon), but when I open it, iTunes simplytreats it as a regular song and won't add it to the "ringtone" menu. :confused::confused::confused:

HELP!

Craig

11. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I use iTunes to make my ringtones. Just google it (not sure what I typed). I got my instructions from a you tube video when I googled ringtones. It has step by step instructions on how to do it. I now have about 5 of my own ringtones and I can choose whatever part of the song I want. Basically you just cut the song to about 30 sec then convert it to aac format. Then last you have to change it from m4a to m4r. Get the instructions from YouTube they show you step by step how to do it.

12. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Does anyone know what could be making all of the options in my "Share" menu grayed out? I can't export it. :confused: HELP?!

13. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Helps to read through the entire thread. ;)

14. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

15. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

when i exported it to disk, it wouldnt let me save as an .aac

im using GarageBand 3, does that make a difference?

16. geenosr macrumors member

geenosr

I have windows and when I first got iPhone 1.0---I bought iphoneringtone maker, and I have used it with 3G as well. Yes you have to pay for it, but it's easy to use and works well. No I'm not advertising for them....I just enjoy their product. Every time Apple would break 3rd party software last year, these guys would beat it every time.

17. GreenLightJerky macrumors member

iringer.net pretty sweet. I have made 16 custom tones in no time.

18. szap macrumors newbie

My friend showed me this website: http://audiko.net/ . You just go to the site, upload a song you want to use and then select which section you want and it'll turn it into a ringtone that is compatible with the iPhone.

19. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

It's much simpler than that! Forget steps 5-7. Instead of step 5, just do "Share menu > Send Ringtone to iTunes"

20. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I had forgotten about myxer.com, thanks for the reminder. :)

That was the simplest solution for me, since my Garageband wasn't working. I downloaded 35+ ringtones in a very short time. And the fact that they're formatted especially for iPhones made it even better. Now I can go back to having my various groups ring just how I like them.

21. mutombopr macrumors newbie

Using Itunes

You can just use Itunes.

1. Select any MP3, right click and Get info

2. Go to Options and the select Start Time and Stop Time of your ringer. (No more than 30secs)

3. Click Ok and go back to the main Itunes windows with your song and convert it to Apple lossless (m4a).

4. Click and drag m4a file to desktop, then delete the one in Itunes.

5. Rename from ringer.m4a to ringer.M4R

6. Drag to Itunes and it will load on the Ringers folder.

7. Sync and you are done.

22. pincho macrumors regular

pincho

+1

23. cosnet macrumors newbie

I just did the Garageband method with the iphone 3g. It works fine.
    Not a Garageband user so took me a minute how to figure out how to "clip" the section I wanted but after that. Saved to Desktop with a short name under 9 characters and .m4r extension. Double clicked it opened in iTunes into the ringtone section and then synced. BTW, It warned me that it would delete all my my songs, playlist, etc.. I did anyway and it did delete them.. Anyone know why? No great loss just had to resync my music.

24. pcdoc macrumors newbie

Boy, I thought this was the answer. Every step worked just like it says, EXCEPT, after dragging the file to iTunes, or importing it, it only shows up in the library and not in the Ringtones folder. AFter I renamed it to the M4R it even changed icons to the iTunes "Ring" icon, but it will not load into iTunes as a ringtone. Any ideas? Thanks.