Custom ringtones still work in 7.4.2 itunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mike Coscia, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Mike Coscia macrumors member

Did the old convert to acc then change file extension to m4a and dragged into itunes. If i upgrade to 7.4.2 will they all still work?

2. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

3. Mike Coscia thread starter macrumors member

Ah that sucks, guess I won't be updating

4. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I hear you, its a nice and easy way of getting ringtones in with that version;)

5. infamous macrumors member

6. TLewis macrumors 65816

I hope so, but Apple could lock down the iPhone if they wanted (and it looks like "they want"). I think the likeliest scenario is for the iPhone to require DRM'd AAC ringtones (in the firmware, not in iTunes). In other words, the iPhone itself will only play a ringtone if it has valid DRM; you can upload a non-DRM'd ringtone into the iPhone, but the iPhone won't play it. Doing that would lock out virtually everyone, including people using iToner or iPhoneRingToneMaker.

7. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

i would cry if this happened. i have a custom halo themed ringtone that i love that i could never get from itms. i would be so mad at apple if they did this.

what are they going to do next? lock me out of using photos that i've taken for wallpapers and start charging for custom wallpapers? they seriously need to stop coming up with ways to make an extra buck and fix the stupid crashing safari and ipod. that's seriously the only thing i want at this point. i almost threw my iphone at the wall the other day because it crashed 3 times within 2 minutes and safari was slowing down so much that it wouldn't register that i clicked on a link and then it would scroll the page and inadvertently select a new link. it seems to be getting slower and slower everyday like a micro$oft windoze pc and i even reboot my iphone daily since people say that is supposed to help (and it does for a little while). they might as well rename the power button "control" and the home button "alt delete" as that's what i have to press to reboot when the screen gets stuck. then i docked my iphone and it blacked out for 5 minutes, wouldn't let me hard reboot, and then it rebooted on its own. fix the functionality!!

ok, sorry for that rant. i'm just really looking for bug fixes, not ringtone stopping updates.

8. scriptkitten macrumors regular

scriptkitten

you make awesome points. apple needs to stop wasting resources on BS like the starbucks itunes store and take care of things like enterprise email solutions, copy/paste and the million other things all of us want.

9. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

But what you want doesn't make them money.

10. chiefillini macrumors regular

Just updated my itunes tonight and when tried the change file extension thing it actually deleted my song from the ringtone folder. Apple is playing a little dirty by actually deleting the file with the update.