Custom script for safari + aperture 3

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by LERsince1991, Sep 1, 2011.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Hi,

I've been using the Aperture 3 hot folder plug-in (found here under automation and scripts) which when open, monitors a folder I specified and when something is added it opens aperture and imports it.

I actually want the original image file to be deleted when its imported and for it to close aperture 3 and hot folders app as well but don't know how to tell it to do that. (posted that question elsewhere here, but if you could help with that then please do).

My question to you guys is;

Is it possible to add something to safari so that I can right click on an image when browsing and click something like "Add to Scrapbook". I would like that to save the image file to a specific folder and run the aperture hot folder script that exists.

And if it is possible, could someone please do this?

I use aperture 3 as a photo library which also syncs with my iPhone and think it would be great to get this feature so that it speeds up my workflow and encourages me to save images that inspire me into an aperture scrapbook.

I look forward to hearing your responses,
    Thanks!
    Luke. :)

2. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

just requested it to apple too:

Hi,

It would be really, really good to get a safari extension that does the following;

Right click on an image in safari, in the contextual menu there should be an option to "Add image to Aperture". This then copies the image to the aperture library, possibly even does the necessary modifications to aperture library files to make it appear in the library next time aperture opens.

Personally, the reason I would like this is when I'm browsing and I find something that inspires me I want to keep it in a digital scrapbook and at the moment it takes so much time and effort to import them so its hardly worth it. It's also good as it sync with my iPhone automatically and I will always have my inspiration scrapbook with me.

Please make this possible!
    even if you can't do it without opening aperture just make the extension save the image to specific folder and launch the Aperture hot folder script available here: http://www.apple.com/aperture/resources/plugins.html

Let me know if you could do this!

Thanks,
    Luke

3. timbos macrumors member

I think that you should be able to do this with Automator. Create a new service -- there's already an action to import photos to Aperture. Also, try googling around for some information.
    Alternatively, you could try right-clicking on the Hot Folder app, and choosing 'Show Package Contents'. In the Resources folder is the script that's run. You could try modifying this to do exactly what you want. Good luck!

4. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

I had a look at the hot folder script and I haven't a clue!

Tried googling but couldn't come up with much.
    Something was interesting that there is a save image to "Downloads".
    Downloads can be changed to any folder, but then this download everything to there which is not what I want.

I'll give automator a go good call :)

Luke

5. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

yay! Did it in automator really well!

It's a shame that the "import to aperture" action brings aperture to the front, I would love it if it was hidden. I have put some applescript in after the import action but its useless as it doesn't trigger until the import is finished so aperture still pops up while it imports. I then made it quit at the end, it seems to wait until the import has finished before quitting.

Anyone know how to make the import action launch aperture hidden instead of front? As it is a preconfigured action theres no settings I can change for it.

Luke

6. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

This is a complete guess. Try launching Aperture and then hiding it in your automator workflow before the import action.