'Custom Size' print option not printing custom size!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pvellacott, Jan 10, 2008.

1. pvellacott macrumors newbie

Let's say I want to print a photograph 8inches x 8 inches.

I use the "Custom Contrain" option and enter 8 x 8 (how does it not that is inches not centimeters). I click CROP, and then DONE to return back to the thumbnail display.

Then I go PRINT - and I get predefined print sizes, 4x6, 7x5, 10x8.

So can I never print the size I want?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I assume you're talking about iPhoto.

If so, you're only changing the dimensions of the photo, not of the paper. To create custom paper sizes (if your printer supports it), go to File --> Page Setup --> Paper Size: Manage Custom Sizes, then add a size and give it the dimensions you want.

Custom sizes you set should, I think, be available in any app.

3. pvellacott thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, yes I am talking about i Photo.

So when I set my custom size in iPhoto I need to change the paper size in PRINT.

But....all my paper is A4, and if I want 3, 4 x 4 images on a page - presumably this is not possible after I have set up the size of pictures in iPhoto.

????

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, in iPhoto '06, you can do more or less that; if you set your paper size to A4 then print, the print dialogue should have a section that lets you select "Paper" and "Style". If you select A4 from Paper, and then select "N-Up" under style, you should be able to print anywhere from 2 to 16 photos per page. Not sure whether they'll come out exactly 4x4, but it will make more or less full use of the available page size. I would assume if you cropped them square, after margins 4-to-a-page would give you almost exactly 4X4 photos (since the page is a little over 8 inches wide).

You can select more than one photo to print different ones on a page, or check the "one photo per page" box to print multiple copies of the same photo.

Not sure if this option exists in earlier versions of iPhoto, but I seem to remember it being there.

On a completely unrelated note: A4 paper and you're measuring in inches?