Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
BTW I can see steve forstall saying: "now we added the ability for custom ring tones, I was totally blown away by the beauty of such a fabulous ability"

Apple is so full of $h!t :rolleyes:

I think you meant either Scott Forstall or Steve Jobs.

As to the OP, care to explain WHY you don't want to jailbreak? Either you care enough about being able to do these customizations to jailbreak, or you don't. Simple as that.

B74A

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Asia and Europe
Anyone who posts a question phrased like a how-to in the subject line should be sent to internet etiquette camp.

Excuse me for waisting your time, mcdj. I tried to be as specific as possible in the subject as I do myself hate subjects like "Help please" and so on. Now that you point it out I can see that it looks like a solution, not like a question. I think it is too late to change it now, but I will have a go at it.

Moaning ... well, call it what you want. Unnecessary minor feature? It should not really be that hard to do, just as was done to ringtones/alarmtones. It is about making an already phone even better, so "get another phone" is not a valid solution. I am not asking it to be able to run flash or windows apps, I just wish that millions of users could be saved the annoyance of daily pickup up the phone just to discover that the SMS you just got, was not on your iPhone, but the guy next to you. For that reason only I have chosen, not my favorite SMS tone, but the one I hear most seldom - which I think is "Chime".

I like Apple products. I am not a "fanboy" but definitely not regretting changing from Windows to Mac in early 2008. Oh, my life is so much easier now, and I gather for every thing I don't like about the Mac, there were ten things in Windows I did not like.

Those few Mac things I don't really get are minor, the important ones are all in favor of Mac, and against Windows. Example: Windows has a right-click options in finder/explorer called "cut", so I can move files, even across drives, without having to drag or open multiple windows. "Cut" the file(s), go to the new location, click "Paste". Done. Not on Mac, if I use copy, I still have to come back and delete the originals, or use drag-drop with - what is it - option I think.

Yes, these things are minor, just a pity that Apple products are so close to being perfect, but I guess they like to "keep us wanting" ...

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
This is 2010, soon 2011. The iPhone is great, I really like it, but such a simple task as being able to set your own SMS tone is really basic. I can do that on my 40 dollar cheapy nokia which I only use for backup call and texting ...

I know, I know, Apple know what is good for you. If you cannot change it, it means Apple thinks you better not ... duh!

Welcome to iOS. If you wanted choice, look elsewhere.

B74A

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Asia and Europe
Welcome to iOS. If you wanted choice, look elsewhere.

I really like Apple products. But I do not consider it a religion, just a series of gadgets. To ask a simple question about whether a feature is available or not, is not enough to make me change phone or computer.

As it happens all the time, all over the world, that people check their phone only to find it was someone else' phone receiving an SMS - I think it is fair to ask to be able to choose between more than just a handful of SMS tones.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Well this is super news, or should I say speculation?

How'd you hear about this?

Can't wait for custom SMS.

just speculation and logic based on known facts, they've been messing with the coding for SMS tones as we know, since we got the ability in 4.2 to assign tones to contacts, makes sense that allowing custom tones is in that area, so if they were already there, why not do this too? so logically, they'll save it for iOS 5 announcement. it will need an iTunes upgrade to go with it for it to work, just like when we got custom ringtones.

I really like Apple products. But I do not consider it a religion, just a series of gadgets. To ask a simple question about whether a feature is available or not, is not enough to make me change phone or computer.

As it happens all the time, all over the world, that people check their phone only to find it was someone else' phone receiving an SMS - I think it is fair to ask to be able to choose between more than just a handful of SMS tones.

well with the iPhone 4 on 4.2, it's more than a handful now :) its great knowing that hearing glass tone, i know it's not my iPhone :)

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Why do people DEFEND the weaknesses of the iPhone? Is it some sort of Apple fanboy thing? Because I don't get it.

For the record I have an iPhone and two Macs. But I sure as hell am going to complain about EVERY deficiency they have.

We should be able to set custom text tones. This is a basic feature that a premium phone like the iPhone should have. STOP DEFENDING the weaknesses of your phone! Just because you don't want a feature doesn't mean everyone doesn't want it.
There you go thinking for yourself again. Get this man some Kool-Aid!

The fact that the iPhone is such a great device (I almost said phone) makes it all the more infuriating that it still doesn't have these basic features. But then Apple will sell a billion of them regardless. It is all starting to look stale compared to the competition though.

As far as jailbreaking, if you've been following the current jailbreak options, it not for the faint of heart at the moment and won't be for a while yet.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.