Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cristian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
El Paso, TX
with a jailbreak iphone.. is there an app or something i can get to be able to have custom sms ringtones on my iphone?

thanks.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
There is no app needed. Just ssh into the phone, find the UI sounds directory, and change the name of your sms tone to.... SMS-received-1, or 2, or 3, ect...What I would do though is rename the original to .bak or something, that way if you ever wanted to revert back to it you could. I hope this helps!

EDIT: Also make sure the sound file is a .caf file...;)

Cristian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
El Paso, TX
There is no app needed. Just ssh into the phone, find the UI sounds directory, and change the name of your sms tone to.... SMS-received-1, or 2, or 3, ect...What I would do though is rename the original to .bak or something, that way if you ever wanted to revert back to it you could. I hope this helps!

EDIT: Also make sure the sound file is a .caf file...;)

sorry but im new to this stuff so..what does ssh mean? if you could explain in depth step by step it would be appreciated..

CyberGreg

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2004
SoCal
Install WinterBoard - much safer and easier than mucking around with ssh.

Once you have WinterBoard there are sound themes you can install (Cydia)
:cool:

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Also, using SSH to change files is perfectly safe and effective as long as you're careful (for example, don't accidentally delete something). I've found it is a quick and easy way to mod your phone a number of ways.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Honestly I think newbies should stick to the Winterboard method, granted it does involve SCP but they don't have to worry about backing their files up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.