Custom SMS tones in Cydia

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SheepNutz, Jul 16, 2009.

1. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Is anyone else having a problem with custom SMS tones installed from Cydia not working? I installed a custom SMS from Cydia, and the package said that it works through winterboard, so I went into winterboard and put a check by the name of the SMS tone. Now what do I need to do? The tone doesn't overwrite any of the others, and there isn't an option for the custom tone in the Settings>Sounds>New Text Message section. Anyone know how I can enable this? I tried downloading another to make sure the first package wasn't corrupt or something, but it's doing the same thing.

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you set up the settings properly?

My text message sound is from Metal Gear Solid (yay for snake), and it works fine.

The setting for custom text messages is usually "Electronic", not the name of your text message sound.

3. SheepNutz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I just tried setting it to electronic, and it still just plays the electronic tone when I get a text. So basically, I installed it from cydia, put a check mark by it in winterboard, then went to settings and changed the SMS tone to electronic. It's still not working.

4. SheepNutz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I just tried downloading a different SMS tone (the mail motherf**ker one), and that one worked under the "chime" sound in SMS tones. Maybe it's just a problem with the first one I tried downloading (Team Fortress 2 tone). I'll try a few others later. I really want that TF2 one to work. I can't really keep the mail motherf**ker one.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Unless the themes have been updated for 3.0, they won't work.

Before 3.0 it was SMS, now it's Messages, therefore under 3.0 the SMS themes don't work.

6. MacNoobUrMother macrumors newbie

I was having the same problem. What you have to do is check to see if one of you themes is using its own tones (ie. unlocking tones, messaging tones) then get rid on the themes tones or the theme its self. then the sms tone will work. cheers

7. fibonacci37 macrumors newbie

Help

I am trying to create a custom text. This is not my first text message created but it has been a good few months since I have tried. I found a song cut it down to three seconds it is just quagmire saying giggity a few times I then named it sms-received6.caf and changed the file type then I deleted the old one and replaced it with the new file. For some reason it just wont work Ive even opened the file in quicktime player to verify it will work but it doesnt make a sound on my iphone. The file is only 81 kb when my working one which is over 400 i dont think thats a problem since one is a voice and the other a song. but I dont know what it could possibly be please let me know if im skipping a step or what. Thanks

8. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

You just renamed the file .caf? You may need to actually use a converter to, well, convert it to .caf from, I assume mp3. I had that issue and converting worked for me.

9. TheRizxx macrumors newbie

Pelicanflip

You are the fu**in man! my sms tone works now i would have never guessed to set it back to electronic, ive been trying for months to get the tones to work and i just read this and it works! Again Pelicanflip is the MAN!!!! Thanks bro!