Custom Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sam19, Mar 18, 2013.

1. sam19 macrumors newbie

hi everyone,

as im making my custom idevice dock i want a nice looking speaker system to go with my dock on my desk with my imac and macbook.

please forgive me as i am a complete idiot when it comes to speakers and sound technology,

i currently have a set of bose 2.1 speakers that i want to take apart and put in a new case, the speakers are amaizng and i love them but they look silly next to my imac. my question is....

what do i ned to do? for the subwoffer would i be best making a wooden box then putting my material on top or would this disturb the sound? i understand i have to have an outlet for the sub but what size? if i change the size of the subwoofer what will that do to the sound?

are the speakers the same? or can i just use my material and re ouse the speakers ?

anybody that can hepl i thank you in advance,

regards
    sam

2. casperghst42 macrumors member

Audio Engine 2 + Audio Engine D2 ....

Looks amazing, sounds amazing....

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

the materials and exact shape of the speakers are designed by people with advanced degrees in acoustic engineering.

it might come out sounding ok, but probably will not be as good as it sounds now, much more likely is that it will sound very muddy.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Based on your questions, I'm going to tell you that you are better off buying off the shelf speakers. Why? Because any sub-woofer out there has several metrics that you must custom build the box around. Further, depending on the what frequencies you want to tune the box to, you need to use differing sizes of ports that also must be matched to the sub-woofer as well as varying the overall interior space. All of this is just for the sub-woofer, don't even get me started on what it takes to build front speakers (first determining if you want a 2 or 3-way front, then creating crossovers between them so only frequencies of X-y are played on each component).

However, if you are really hell bent on building your own. I would really recommend google someone else's setup and copy. It won't be cheap. Yes you can build custom speakers that sound amazing for (at times) a fraction of the cost of buying amazing speakers, but then again you can also build speakers that sound like absolute crap. Frankly, your average Joe can't even tell what a good speaker sounds like.

I look back at all the sub woofer boxes we built in high school for our cars with no idea what we were doing and shudder. They were awful sounding. More about putting out a lot of power/noise then about enjoying the music. If I could go back and design proper boxes I would.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No need to apologize but you're asking in the wrong place as most of us are probably not sound engineers. I know I'm not.

If you're asking these questions you shouldn't be DIY'ing it unless you're willing to experiment and learn from trial-and-error. The materials, size, mass, etc certainly all matter but you're not going to get the education you're expecting to find simply by posting here and reading responses to your post.

6. Elddon macrumors newbie

There are many offers in sites like Craiglist and ebay. Just search them and make the best speakers deal.