Custom Stacks Icons??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by divinemercy, Aug 3, 2008.

1. divinemercy macrumors regular

Ok... so i have a question (obviously)

I am trying to customize my mac in lots of ways, and one of the ways i had heard of was creating a custom permanent icon for a stacks folder in the bottom bar.....

There were lots of tricks being used, like adding a file to the folder and changing the time signature so it came first until the year 2020..... or adding a file and namming it "AAAAAAAAAAA" and organizing by alphabet....

Trying these out i stubled upon what i should THINK would be the easiest way of all.... If you right click a "stack" in the bar, there is an option "display as" and you can choose "stacks" or "Folder".... so all you have to do is choose "folder"... and then change the original files folder to whatever icon you want!

[​IMG]

Of course changing the orginal file's icon is super easy. Just copy the icon you want to use to your clipboard, then 'right-click' the original folder and select info. Click the folder in the top left of the info screen to select it, then command-v to paste the new icon. You may need to right click you stacks, change to display as a stack, then change back once more to folder to have it show the new icon....

[​IMG]

For example: The picture below shows my new two custom stacks icons. To the left of trash is my "BackUp" drive, where i drag the files i want to store later on my external drive. To the left of that is my "Programming" drive, where i store my programming files and information. Both icons were found, obviously, in OS X itself, but with this technique you could use any icon at all.

[​IMG]

Ok. so my question is why has nobody found this before? It seems so easy. Is there something that i'm missing? Some reason this isn't as good as adding a useless file to a stack and changing its time-signature or name to AAA? Now i have two permanant icons that are only ICONS, not random files in the stacks themselves.

thanks for pointing out whatever obvious flaw in my technique im missing,

Ryan

P.S. How awesome is that wallpaper i found today??

2. divinemercy thread starter macrumors regular

OK...

so... found a flaw: it doesn't work!

haha... For some reason every time i restart the icons switch back to looking like a big normal folder, and i have to click "display as stacks" then "display as folder" again to get them to show the new icons (even though the new icons are still present in the original files.

so... why is it doing that instead of staying as the new icon?

3. mynameisshawn macrumors member

I've done it with my FCE folder.

[​IMG]

It works for me, don't know why it doesn't for you, sorry.

4. divinemercy thread starter macrumors regular

You've done it with the above technique? and restarted your comp without them changing back?

5. ionlygreat macrumors member

this isn't related to your thread, but where did you get that wallpaper?

6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

If you change the icon of the folder, the existing icon in the Dock won't change. You need to remove the existing folder & drag the new one in.