Custom Tag Categories in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by knidsrok, Jul 26, 2010.

1. knidsrok macrumors newbie

Is it possible to get iTunes to recognize additional metadata categories other than the ones that come standard?

Other music managing applications use tag categories like mood, record label, producer, mixer, etc., but iTunes doesn't 'see' these tags. Is there anyway to get iTunes to look for these tags?

If not, does anyone know of a good music player application for OS X that does?

2. jowie macrumors 6502a

People seem to have been asking questions like this for years, but it looks like iTunes has never got round to supporting them. I guess it's no longer a priority for Apple, which is a shame.

One thing I have been doing for years though, is using the rather pointless "grouping" field for meta-tagging music, e.g. "car,party,eighties,club" and then using these tags to create smart playlists for different occasions.

Since I've been sorting through my old vinyl DJ collection, I've been looking for a way of adding metadata for some of the things you mentioned, mainly record label. The Album Icon view is a good way of scanning through my collection in digital form, but I'd really like a way of being able to sort by label, since in dance music that's nearly as important as the artist name.

So if you come up with a good solution for this, I'd be really interested to hear it! :)

:-Joe