Custom text message tones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Savage, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

As of the iPhone 4 I am a new iPhone user so this'll probably be an old question for most. But is there a way to set a custom text message alert like you can a ringtone? (I'm already 90% sure you can't because I searched and found 2+ year old threads that say no, but I just want to know if there is any possibility of this now.)

As since the answer is likely still no, why do you think Apple still hasn't implemented this, especially since we now have iOS4? My concern is because while I love the default (tri-tone I think it's called), with so many friends and family with iPhones, it starts to get confusing for people (since nearly everyone around me uses this one as the others are meh).

2. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Nope. Only way to do it is with a Jailbreak (which is not out for iP4 yet).

3. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Nope. You can do it if you jailbreak and SSH into the phone's directory, but as of right now, there's no easy, user-friendly way to do it. Why? Not sure, though a theory someone posted on another thread about something along these lines is that Apple likes for their products to be easily recognizable out in the wild. They, apparently, love it when they walk past a line of people waiting in line for, say, a concert and hear the default email and text tones going off every 15 seconds from all points in the line; that happened to me at a show in Indianapolis and it was irritating at first until it became so ridiculous it was funny. Didn't stop me from yanking my iPhone out of my pocket every 15 seconds just to be sure it wasn't me, though.

5. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

It would be a nice option to have, however with any phone I have ever have I have always but on the single 'ding' sound for texts. It seems less annoying.

Apple still hasn't killed all reasons to jailbreak.

6. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

With my old phone I never used any type of sounds. The phone was on silent-vibrate mode 100% of the time. But with my iP4 I like sounds, especially since it only vibrates once for a text compared to my old phone's three times. If we had to option to at least set the number of vibrations, I might not even need a text noise.