Custom Text Tone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by A Tackier Pink, Jan 10, 2011.

1. A Tackier Pink macrumors newbie

Hey, I have been perusing MacRumors for a while and it has been very helpful. I finally came across a question of my own and decided to join.

My question is simple: Is there any chance of Apple updating the iPhone in a future patch to allow for custom text tones as it does for ringtones?

It's a small thing, but a feature that is found on almost all other modern phones. I don't want to jailbreak my phone and was hoping if there was any chance for this change in upcoming patches. I can't see why it wouldn't happen and am surprised that the feature isn't already there.

I have an iPhone 4 running 4.2.1

tl;dr
    Will Apple ever implement custom text tones in a new patch?

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yes, it is possible. We'll never know for sure though unless they actually implement it.

3. A Tackier Pink, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

A Tackier Pink thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I can't see why they shouldn't. I just find it frustrating that such a simple and popular feature has yet to be added.

4. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

There's about 576487 million people who agree with you. Or you could jailbreak and use the Cydia app called ToneFXs. It's a pretty dang shibby app.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe, but doubtful.

Apple could have done this for a while and they haven't so why should they do it now. btw, I'd like to see custom ring tones. I'll be moving back to the iPhone from my droid and I'll miss that feature. My company is enforcing encrypted group policies, something that the iPhone supports but not android, so I'm forced to get an iPhone.

6. Stealthipad, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Moving from Blackberry to an iPhone 4, my biggest disappointment was the lack of profile settings. I never realized how good RIM did this till I got the iPhone.

Do not get me wrong, I love my iPhone 4 but all devices are a compromise!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

8. shandyman Suspended

i wouldn't be surprised if it was in iOS 5, since they were messing with the code to assign SMS tones to contacts and added some new tones for iPhone 4, surely wouldn't have taken them much tweaking there to enable this, but i think they'd hold over something like that for iOS 5.

I assume that you meant text tones, as custom ring tones are already on the iPhone.... :)

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

RIM's profile settings are where you can specify the settings for multiple ring tones, volume of each and vibration settings and how many times for a call, event, etc. They can also vary depending on if your phone is in the holster or out. These settings are extensive and very adaptable.