Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itutz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Everybody... EVERYONE on this forum kept complaining that you couldn't set a custom text tone for different people..

Well now you can.

Messaging with text tones
Know who’s texting without looking at your screen. Choose from 17 new alerts and assign custom tones for people in your contact list.

http://www.apple.com/ios/

so.... quit complaining?

Satanic Goat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Everybody... EVERYONE on this forum kept complaining that you couldn't set a custom text tone for different people..

Well now you can.

Know who’s texting without looking at your screen. Choose from 17 new alerts and assign custom tones for people in your contact list.

so.... quit complaining?

It just means you pick one of the different text tones, I'm running 4.2.1 and the only option you have is to pick from one of the text tones, not your own ringtone for example. They could have worded it better

itutz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
It just means you pick one of the different text tones, I'm running 4.2.1 and the only option you have is to pick from one of the text tones, not your own ringtone for example. They could have worded it better

I remember people saying " I want to set different text tones to different contacts" on the forum, this seems to be what they were looking for.

Are you saying you can't set them individually?

Satanic Goat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
I remember people saying " I want to set different text tones to different contacts" on the forum, this seems to be what they were looking for.

I got the impression from your post and by apple's wording that you meant you could pick a custom tone, ie one you'd made or chosen yourself as a text tone for your contacts. Your contacts can have different text tones as long as they are the horrendous ones apple has handpicked, not say a Slayer riff or some such wonderment.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
An entire Beethoven symphony for a freakin' text??? No, thanks. :rolleyes:

An ole tri-tone and a glimpse has always worked for me just fine.
I don't get why they don't allow custom ones like they do ringtones. It's crazy easy to make your own ringtones. SMS tones are just as easy to make, they're just shorter.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

I don't recall seeing many people (if anyone) ask for this feature.

I DO see everyone asking to be able to use their own text tones.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008

Well now you can.

so.... quit complaining?

The answer is no..... there will always be complaining...

RRmalvado

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010

Well now you can.

so.... quit complaining?

If people didn't "complain" would the feature be added?

i.e. Multitasking and Folders just to name a few features.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Umm still has a long LONG way to go. You can not put in custom Text sounds and for almost every phone they have maybe 2 useful text sounds by default. The rest pretty much suck. The exception being blackberry which has a lot and even there I still am using a custom sound for my text messages.

I know the sound on my phone is just as long as the sounds that the iPhone uses but completely custom installed by me.
iPhone needs to add that.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005

Well now you can.

so.... quit complaining?

Honestly, all I want is a single, unobtrusive beep to notify me of a text - doesn't seem like that's an option here.

Its curious why Apple doesn't trust us to make our own SMS tones?

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I don't recall seeing many people (if anyone) ask for this feature.

I DO see everyone asking to be able to use their own text tones.

That's what I have complained about- I don't want to use a stock tone. I want my text tone for certain people to be a shorter version of my customized ringtone for that same person.
It's aggravating that this easy feature, available on POS phones for a decade, still isn't available on such a "smart" phone...guess doing that is just too freaking "Magical" for Apple...

weirdlilwoman

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
"Know who’s texting without looking at your screen. Choose from 17 new alerts and assign custom tones for people in your contact list."

Maybe I'm missing something, but I only see the six stock tones to choose from. Where did they get 17?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
"Know who’s texting without looking at your screen. Choose from 17 new alerts and assign custom tones for people in your contact list."

Maybe I'm missing something, but I only see the six stock tones to choose from. Where did they get 17?

The additional tones are only available on iPhone 4.

TIO

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
I'm not sure I get why they wouldn't make the new tones available in earlier hardware. Not complaining, by any means, as all accounts I've heard so far are that the new tones aren't so great.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I know the custom SMS tone thing isn't a huge deal, but the fact that they add all these new overly long tones but still wont let me put my own on there is really pissing me off.

Ljwinter

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly, all I want is a single, unobtrusive beep to notify me of a text - doesn't seem like that's an option here.

Its curious why Apple doesn't trust us to make our own SMS tones?

It's Apple's way of advertising. If you only have 10 different text message sounds to go with the millions of iPhones, everyone gets to know those sounds. Even people who don't own iPhones. So whenever one of the sounds go off people immediately know you have an iPhone...like we should feel special or something...:confused:

custom sms tones will be in iOS 5.....

And will only work on the iPhone 5...

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Yea I hate to be a complainer but these new tones are absolutely awful. Maybe its just my personal preference but I like a text message tone to be short.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
Sorry but I can see the new SMS tones but did not figure out how to assign one to a given contact...how do you do that?

jhCanuck

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
canada
Custom text tones --- but not for you!

At the Apple site, the augmented text tones are described this way:

"Know who’s texting without looking at your screen. Choose from 17 new alerts and assign custom tones for people in your contact list.
For the iPhone."

It does not say for the iPhone 4 exclusively -- but that, apparently, is how it is.

Given that i have two more years of a service contract for a 3GS, it does not sit well that there is no compelling reason why other models of iPhones have been relegated to the back of the bus. The lack of FaceTime
on a 3GS is understandable; the lack of additional text alerts is not.
And thus this amounts to a gratuitous insult by Apple to those who are
still paying on service contracts for earlier phones.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
we wait soo long for utter **** ringtones,...GREAT. All i want is a simple conservative beep, where is that option, dAMN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.