Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent 21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
I want to start creating my own themes and I was just wondering if anyone could steer me to a good tutorial (or provide info themselves) for doing this. I'm looking to customize everything possible, backrounds, lockscreens, sliders, icons, status bar stuff (carrier logos, signal bars, etc), dial pads, keyboards, SMS bubbles, I'm talking the works here. I'm not necessarily going to customize every element listed right off the bat, but eventually I want to so I'm looking for info on things like what sizes the images would be, what extension types they would need to be named to go onto the phone, how to save them as such, and how to get them onto the phone (if by SSH it would be via USB not Wi-Fi if that info helps for instructions). I will be using Adobe Photoshop on a PC running XP to create the stuff and put them onto the phone (3GS running 3.0). I don't wanna go through Winterboard if I don't have to. Nothing against Winterboard, but I've yet to install it and figure there isn't a need toif I want to do everything from scratch on my own. Thanks in advance for any help/advice/tips.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That's a massive request.

You should download Matte UI and a regular theme and pick them apart for image names, locations and sizes.

PS. You're going to screw your phone up manually testing theme images without WB. Esp since you don't even know how to SSH.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I would recommend just using Winterboard, I don't know what everybody has against it.

There are many SSH tutorials on the web, it's not too tricky once you figure out what you're doing.

I don't know anything about making themes. My experience is limited to SSHing to change the color of text bubbles and text sounds.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
That's a massive request.

You should download Matte UI and a regular theme and pick them apart for image names, locations and sizes.

PS. You're going to screw your phone up manually testing theme images without WB. Esp since you don't even know how to SSH.

Yep. Best answer. It is really just something you get the hang of. :eek:

egk69

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
I want to start creating my own themes and I was just wondering if anyone could steer me to a good tutorial (or provide info themselves) for doing this. I'm looking to customize everything possible, backrounds, lockscreens, sliders, icons, status bar stuff (carrier logos, signal bars, etc), dial pads, keyboards, SMS bubbles, I'm talking the works here. I'm not necessarily going to customize every element listed right off the bat, but eventually I want to so I'm looking for info on things like what sizes the images would be, what extension types they would need to be named to go onto the phone, how to save them as such, and how to get them onto the phone (if by SSH it would be via USB not Wi-Fi if that info helps for instructions). I will be using Adobe Photoshop on a PC running XP to create the stuff and put them onto the phone (3GS running 3.0). I don't wanna go through Winterboard if I don't have to. Nothing against Winterboard, but I've yet to install it and figure there isn't a need toif I want to do everything from scratch on my own. Thanks in advance for any help/advice/tips.

Man I Recomend you getting Winterboard , cause there are a few or ton!? (who knows, i dont know) of things you cant do if you dont have winterboard (like using a background on the springboard). When i had my 3G I tried to customize the looks of the phone without Winterboard, I search a lot, and well I did a "basic" theme but its a slow process and I even mess up something (HAHAHAH) 1 time and i had to RESTORE and Re-Jailbreak the iPhone cause I change something you weren't supposed to change :D...

With my 3G I hated how it works with winterboard, cause the phone became laggy and sometimes unresponsive and i simply hated it! But NOW that i Have a 3GS (and you said you have one) everything runs pretty good with winterboard! So I recomend it to you! :D

Anyways Good Luck...

BTW: Yeah my english its not the best...

Agent 21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
I don't have anything AGAINST Winterboard, I've just browsed through the themes available for it and none really appeal to me. I have quite a few specific ideas for themes and I can't make any of them by using bits and pieces from different themes/icons/sliders in Winterboard, that's why I've yet to get it. If it would be easier/better for me to use Winterboard to add my own custom things then I will definately get it. I have a 3GS, I'm not worried about the slowdown or anything, like I said I just didn't think I needed it for what I want to do.

For example, I want to make a surfing theme, and I want to use sponsor logos for certain things and images of trips I've been on for backrounds etc. I'm not going to find those things pre-existing in WB to just pick and choose which to apply, so I need to make them myself.

I know my request is a lot, but like I said, I'm not doing every little thing all at once, I want to start with basic stuff, like backrounds, and work from there until I am comfortable with the processes and SSH. If something happens to my phone, I just restore and try again. That's what's great about this phone, if you mess up you CAN start over. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I'm willing to restore should I mess something up.

There's obviously a way to make these things from scratch, because the themes on WB already had to come from somewhere, so I'm just wondering where to find info on file types and image sizes etc for the different things, even to just start creating now to put on at a later date when I'm more confortable and experienced with SSH and rapping into that aspect of phone mods. I'm obviously not going to jump right in with a 100% custom theme when I've yet to SSH a single thing, I just want to start reading up on it and preparing the images and such now.

hamsup1o

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
You will be limited to what you can customize without Winterboard. For example, there is no way of changing the springboard background without Winterboard.

Here's a good starting guide for theming with Winterboard by the developer:

http://www.saurik.com/id/9

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007

http://www.hackthatphone.com/3x/read_me_first.html

It'll go over SSH, etc plus will give locations for just about everything you are looking for. It's a Mac tutorial but the concepts are the same, especially when it's the file locations on the iPhone itself.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
For example, I want to make a surfing theme, and I want to use sponsor logos for certain things and images of trips I've been on for backrounds etc. I'm not going to find those things pre-existing in WB to just pick and choose which to apply, so I need to make them myself.

WB isn't just for premade themes. Its used to turn on any theme, regardless of where it came from.

More to the point, you aren't going to be able to add ANY background without WB.

Ideally you would make your theme, SSH it to your phone, and turn it on with WB.

egk69

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
I don't have anything AGAINST Winterboard, I've just browsed through the themes available for it and none really appeal to me. I have quite a few specific ideas for themes and I can't make any of them by using bits and pieces from different themes/icons/sliders in Winterboard, that's why I've yet to get it. If it would be easier/better for me to use Winterboard to add my own custom things then I will definately get it. I have a 3GS, I'm not worried about the slowdown or anything, like I said I just didn't think I needed it for what I want to do.

I know my request is a lot, but like I said, I'm not doing every little thing all at once, I want to start with basic stuff, like backrounds, and work from there until I am comfortable with the processes and SSH. If something happens to my phone, I just restore and try again. That's what's great about this phone, if you mess up you CAN start over. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I'm willing to restore should I mess something up.

There's obviously a way to make these things from scratch, because the themes on WB already had to come from somewhere, so I'm just wondering where to find info on file types and image sizes etc for the different things, even to just start creating now to put on at a later date when I'm more confortable and experienced with SSH and rapping into that aspect of phone mods. I'm obviously not going to jump right in with a 100% custom theme when I've yet to SSH a single thing, I just want to start reading up on it and preparing the images and such now.

What he said :
WB isn't just for premade themes. Its used to turn on any theme, regardless of where it came from.

More to the point, you aren't going to be able to add ANY background without WB.

Ideally you would make your theme, SSH it to your phone, and turn it on with WB.

And what He Said:

bytethese said:
http://www.hackthatphone.com/3x/read_me_first.html

It'll go over SSH, etc plus will give locations for just about everything you are looking for. It's a Mac tutorial but the concepts are the same, especially when it's the file locations on the iPhone itself.

I personally used HackThatPhone tutorial, its very easy to understan and enough to make a whole custom theme!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.