Custom unlock message

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by davidjacobs21, Feb 7, 2011.

1. davidjacobs21 macrumors regular

Is there an app to replace the swipe to unlock slider to whatever you want?

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Not aware of any app that will do that, though I'm sure there probably is one. You can change that text either through a WB theme or manually change it yourself.

3. davidjacobs21 thread starter macrumors regular

How would i change it manually?

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You can get this from from Cydia, might be tap to unlock etc...

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Go here in your phone;

/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/

Find the Springboard.strings file

Within ^ file, look for "AWAY_LOCK_LABEL" and you should see "Slide to Unlock" beneath/next to it.

Change that text to say whatever you want to say, save, upload back into your phone, respring.

6. davidjacobs21 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry but this is the first time ive jailbroken my phone, so im new at this, and i have no idea what any of that is. How do i get there in my phone?

7. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Easiest way is get iFile from Cydia. iFile is a local file manager that can act as a text editor as well.

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

You can buy iFile like the poster said. IMO it's well worth the money as it's really simple and easy to use.

If you want a freebie, you can download either iPhoneExplorer or iFunBox. I think iFunBox is Windows only while iPhoneExlporer is either Win/Mac.

Both of these you'll simply need to install on your PC/Mac and then plug your phone in via the USB cable. Once plugged in, you'll be able to view the root files of your phone and navigate through them. It's just like using Windows Explorer except it's on your iPhone.

Once you get the hang of this, then you can follow the instructions on my previous post to find the folder/file you need to edit. As far as editing goes, you'll need to drag the Springboard.strings file onto your desktop in order to edit it. For Win you can use Text and if you're on a mac then you can use it's texteditor or TextWrangler if you like.

Once you've edited/saved your file, simply drag it back into the folder and overwrite the original file when prompted.

And, again, with iFile, you can do all this on your phone without the need to connect, drag, edit, reupload, etc. Much easier. I think it's $5 if you're interested.

As you're a newbie to this, I'd highly recommend you keep backups of whatever file you're changing just in case.

9. davidjacobs21 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info

10. STravisC macrumors regular