Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikegs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Hi guys

So I know it's possible to create custom vibration patterns in ios 5. However, I can't assign different vibration patterns for different purposes (e.g. one for incoming calls, another for messages etc.). Apparantly, when choosing a vibration pattern, that is the one used for all apps. The phone is in silent mode.

Do you know if it is possible to assign different vibration types to different apps?

Kaliena

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
The custom vibration patterns are for contacts for incoming calls.
General -> Accessibility -> Custom Vibrations On/Off

Once they are on, go to Contacts and edit the desired contact. You can then create and assign a custom vibration by selecting that option from the Vibration sub menu. You can also turn off vibrations for a given contact.

I'm not aware of a way to set up vibrations for apps individually the way you can contacts.

Edit: If you go to Sounds you can also record a custom vibration to use in general for your Iphone, once the Custom Vibrations is toggled On. It's all the way at the bottom under Vibration Patterns.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Hi guys

So I know it's possible to create custom vibration patterns in ios 5. However, I can't assign different vibration patterns for different purposes (e.g. one for incoming calls, another for messages etc.). Apparantly, when choosing a vibration pattern, that is the one used for all apps. The phone is in silent mode.

Do you know if it is possible to assign different vibration types to different apps?

I also was hoping to assign a longer vibration tone to SMS and Email but looks like that is not possible. Will be requesting this feature with Apple for future updates. Would hope other do as well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.