Custom Video Compression For Optimal Viewing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dxpx, May 13, 2008.

1. dxpx macrumors member

dxpx

Okay - so I've made this wicked awesome short-film using iMovie HD that is a little over 9 minutes in length. The goal is to upload this bad-boy to facebook so I can show it off to my friends - however, the size limitation is 300MB.

When compressed to CD-ROM quality - the size filters in at 43.5 MB. I felt this view sucked major - thus, I went ahead and tried it at Full-Quality. Much to my surprise, that clocked in around 612 MB.

So! My question is - can anyone recommend how to customize my compression settings to fall right around 300 MB?

I greatly appreciate any efforts!

2. NickFalk macrumors 6502

NickFalk

Not an iMovie-user myself so a bit uncertain whether you have access to all the QT-codecs. If you do however I recommend you reduced the actual frame-size somewhat and experiment with the h.264 codec. It is capable of some amazing compression with a minimum of quality reduction.

Examples can be found here: http://www.tbenjaminlarsen.com/page2/page2.html

3. dxpx thread starter macrumors member

dxpx

well! that ended up being a real easy fix! i simply decreased the frame-size as you mentioned - and managed to compress the film to 273.2 MB! The quality is great! thanx for the feedback!