Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newportnews

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2003
I know this seems pretty trivial -- but how do you set a custom icon to the Windows partition. So that you hold down option at startup you see a Windows icon.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
helicine said:
my windows partition is NTFS, so I can't do anything to it in OSX. you *might* be able to give it an icon in OSX if the drive is formatted as FAT32

someone care to test this?

I partitioned Fat32 so i could write to Winblows drive from OsX... My iMac icon shows up @ boot but Winblows is still the Generic drive icon... (even though on my desktop it is the Winblows icon...

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
try this - set a folder icon to the icon you want the windows drive (can be any folder anywhere). Enable "show hidden files" (using terminal or Cocktail's free trial) then inside that folder should be an externsionless "Icon" file. Copy that to a thumbdrive or a cd anything that's readable in Windows.

Boot into Windows

Copy the "Icon" file to the root of the C: drive (you might have to enable hidden folders)

In "theory" this should work. The FAT32 thing does would with thumbdrives.

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
7on said:
try this - set a folder icon to the icon you want the windows drive (can be any folder anywhere). Enable "show hidden files" (using terminal or Cocktail's free trial) then inside that folder should be an externsionless "Icon" file. Copy that to a thumbdrive or a cd anything that's readable in Windows.

Boot into Windows

Copy the "Icon" file to the root of the C: drive (you might have to enable hidden folders)

In "theory" this should work. The FAT32 thing does would with thumbdrives.

Sounds like a plan, I did spend some time trying to do this, and failed dismally. This at least feels like a more plausible track.

One question, why wouldn't you copy the Icon file from OS-X if you have a FAT32 partiition?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.