customer service fail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gimmeiphone, Dec 15, 2010.

1. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

so my iphone 4 makes calls on its own, which is funny since when i try myself i get call failed 75% of the time, most calls made to me go straight to voice mail, the camera has a green blob in most of the pictures it takes (apparently due to flourescent lighting?) that and the fact that even with a bumper i get no end of dropped calls just makes me so mad! call apple to which the guy says its definitely hardware since iv had a sim change and restored 3 times from new, but that my only options are to have it swapped on my doorstep for a £30 charge plus a £600 charge which will be refunded once they confirm the phones dodgy, who has £600 lying around this time of year? my second option is to send it back with a 7 working day turn around, which will more than likely be held up due to the christmas period, no apple store near me so thats not an option, im not an apple basher, have an imac, macbook pro ipad and iphone 4, the imac had some problems (and now a failed dvd drive) had it little over a year, ipad and macbook pro have been fine i appreciate some have had perfect units but iphone 4 is just unbelievably spotty in regards to qc, definitely done with this, rant over!

2. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

**** happens ...

put it in the mail overnight, and ask them if they would do the same on return.

/thread

3. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

the have just been completely unhelpful, basically after much back and forth, those are my options and its tough *****, wish i could get a refund for the phone

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I don't really see bad CS here.

I'd just send it back. Plus if your phone doesn't work 75% of the time, it's not like you'd miss much anyway.

I could see if you just had the green blob but a perfectly working phone otherwise. If you're experiencing that much service issues though. I don't see the phone as usable anyway.

If you have two options to return I don't really see how that is unhelpful.

Plus how long ago did you buy the phone? There is a return policy so if the phone is that bad, why didn't you return already?

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yep. Crappy phone.

6. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Defects happen, and it certainly does seem like you got a defective unit.

But warranty fraud happens too, and companies rarely leave themselves open nowadays and CS policies reflect that.

In a perfect world, a company could just send you a £600 replacement device overnight with no worries that you wouldn't send the original device back.

But then again, in a perfect world we wouldn't need warranties in the first place. :)

I'd agree with the poster that said you won't be missing much since the phone is unusable right now anyways. Or let them put the £600 charge on plastic so you're not out that cash in the meantime.

The green blob under flourecent lighting is a well known flaw of the iPhone 4 BTW, and will be no different with the replacement unit. But the other problems aren't normal or tolerable.

Sean

7. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont have £600 im a student at christmas lol! gonna have to stick it out i suppose, i need it for emails and with xmas coming up lots of calls! il have to stick it out til january :S

8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Seeing that you seem to live in the UK, might you be located somewhere close enough to make a day trip to the closest Apple store?
    It would be faster than 7 days, and you won't have to worry about them placing a hold on £600 until they get the old one back.

Since England is smaller than Michigan & Oregon (about 900 square miles smaller), I'd say go for it.
    Make it a road trip with you and a buddy or a lady.

9. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

nearest is around 2 hours away and i just cant be bothered tbh its a huge hassle, still cant believe that it costs £30 and a 600 hold just to get a defective phone swapped, to top it off they said its only in warranty til august, since thats when it was bought, i got it a little over a month ago if that, apparently it goes from when the operator (Three uk) bought it, one thing after another :(

10. SnowDX macrumors 6502

With the fee and the hold on your card, Apple is offering you their Advance Replacement Service (ARS) http://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/service/exchange/

They don't put the charge through on your card, they put a hold on the card. So, when they get your iPhone that you send in, they remove the hold, which is faster than waiting for a return charge on a credit card.

The £29 fee for the ARS is waived if your phone is under the AppleCare protection plan. I believe the fee is for the convenience of getting you a replacement device ASAP which Apple does follow through with.

I have used the service for my iPad and personally, I thought it was awesome. I talked to them at 3pm in the afternoon, the next day by noon I had a replacement iPad. I packed up my current iPad with the box and return label they provided, called UPS and an hour later the UPS guy arrived to pick it up. It arrived at Apple a few days later and the hold was removed from credit card. The entire process was painless IMO as I had my replacement device so quickly and it cost me nothing (I had AppleCare so the fee was waived).

If you don't agree with teh £29 fee, and you don't have AppleCare that waives that fee, and you also don't have £600 room on your credit card right now, then your only option is to send it back yourself. The quicker you do that, the quicker you'll have it back. If it's not usable right now anyway, then may as well send it in and get the replacement.

The one thing I do find weird, is that your warranty is not really a year? That seems awfully strange to go by when the cellular provider purchased the phone. I wonder if that's standard in all countries? I was pretty sure that here in Canada, your warranty was a year from date of purchase, even if bought at a cellular provider. The only exception is if you purchase a returned phone (which some providers sell if they are still like new) and then your warranty goes by the date the original person purchased it, or so I've heard (*cough* Rogers *cough* *cough*).

11. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

lol no it was sealed :p and yeah in the past iv had o2 contracts and the warranty goes from the day of my activation, im just mad that the apple rep advised me the 7 day turnaround may be a while longer due to the christmas period, i myself have used the arp in the past and it was great, but apparently it doesnt work like that anymore, think i just got a douchey rep, had no intentions of helping tbh theyre normally great

12. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Telling you about the probable delay is a bit better than NOT telling you and letting you find out the hard way, isn't it?

I truck around raw materials for industrial mills, not consumer goods, but from what I understand, the holidays are the toughest time to ship anything to a front doorstep.