Customer service problems

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nonentity, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Nonentity macrumors member

My girlfriends housemate has had a very bad time with Apple customer care and could use some advice.

She took her Macbook (unsure of specs, but was purchased about a year ago) to a premium reseller (we have very few true apple stores in the UK), with a cracked palm rest, i think this was a known defect with the plastic and a dodgy airport card.

The reseller sent it off to apple to be repaired. She received a phone call from Apple who said they repaired the top case but were unable to repair the bottom bit as it was not under warranty (and yes she has applecare) they also claimed to have opened the macbook and the wireless card was fine. She argued her case with Apple who in the end agreed to ''make and exception'' and repair, she was then told that it had been sent back to the reseller and she would have to go back to the shop to get it sent off again, which she did.

It's important to note that she never actually saw the laptop at this point.

One week later she phones Apple up again to see what was going on, she was then informed that something had been spilt (either coke or coffee) on it and they were therefore unable to repair it and it would cost £1000 to repair (bear in mind that she had not even seen the laptop, let alone spilt anything on it, since it was first taken to be repaired); As you can imagine she was not impressed and tried to argue her case again; she wanted a repair or a new one ( a fair demand if you ask me) they said they would get back to her.

Skip to today she received a phone call from apple saying that they would not repair it under warranty, and that they hadn't even looked at it since it was shipped to their warehouse.

So we simply want any advice from anyone on this situation would be muchly appreciated.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Demand to talk to an upper level supervisor. Calmly explain the whole situation, that it had been sent in to repair, then sent to the 'shop', then immediately sent back to Apple, so whatever happened to it happened at Apple. Continue to call further up the ladder until you get satisfaction.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

Not for anything, but is it possible someone at the reseller spilled something on it? If it was fine when she dropped it off for them to ship, could it be a possibility?

4. Nonentity thread starter macrumors member

It's very possible, but she's having a hard time getting apple to even acknowledge that couldn't have spilt anything on it.

Could it be worth mailing sjobs@mac.com?

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I doubt that will get you very far. What I would recommend is writing a letter that details everything that's happened so far. Then I would send it via regular mail to everyone involved. Then I would get on the phone with Apple Care and start talking and keep talking until they acknowledge that it's their problem.

It's probably going to take some persistence but steady pressure will wear them down. If she's near an Apple Store, she might want to send them a letter as well. The more people who are aware of the problem, especially if it's in writing, the better off she'll be.