Customer wants classic support in 10.4 - Can't boot from OS9 disc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KeyserSoze828, Aug 27, 2011.

1. KeyserSoze828 macrumors newbie

Hello all. Long time lurker but finally have an issue that I can't find a resolution to on here (couldn't find an advanced search feature but I did look at old threads, please forgive me if I missed any that related to this).

First off, this is NOT my idea. This is for an elderly customer that will not lose his Classic apps. He has a desktop G4 that he has been running with classic support for years and just bought a G4 ibook that he wants to use the same apps on (yes last week he bought a used G4 book and a OS9 install CD). I also have the Tiger install discs. I see that there is an apple "additional hardware and hardware test" disc that will install a classic system folder but that's the only apple disc I can't locate atm. So both of Apple's methods don't work here. I've tried booting from the OS 9 disc several times but I just saw on here that this machine is a little too new for that possibly. Sorry for the lengthy explanation.

SOOOOOO.... the awesome specs.
    iBook G4 1.33 GHz
    1.25 GB of DDR SDRAM
    Currently on OS 10.4 (tried to be slick and format from the OSX disc, do a full install of OS9, then update to OSX but couldn't eject the OSX disc after the reformat :rolleyes:)

Is there a way to download a file that will install an OS9 system folder? Surely there's a way around this without ebaying an extraneous apple CD.....

Thank you SO much in advance for any assistance with this. You guys rule.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'll either have to find the proper Classic install disc or do the following: Make sure the internal hard drive is formatted with the Mac OS 9 drivers installed. Its a check box on the erase tab in Disk Utility. If the OS 9 drivers are not installed, you'll have to reformat the drive with them installed. Then install Tiger. Once Tiger is running, get the needed Mac OS 9 folders from a working OS 9 installation. They are the Documents, Applications (OS 9), and the System Folder. Using Mac OS X, copy these to the iBook. The iBook should then be able to boot into Mac OS 9 using the Startup pref pane.

3. KeyserSoze828 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an OEM OS 9.2.1 disc but I can't boot from it (pretty sure that's a hardware restriction).

Would I be able to boot from the OS 9 disc if the hard drive was formatted but DIDN'T have an OSX disc stuck in the optical drive? I know of a bunch of PC programs that format but with macs I always use the install discs and disc utility to format. When I formatted with the OSX disc I couldn't eject it so that I could try to boot from the OS 9 disc. My only option was to install OSX (which is the only disc I have that I can boot from).

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I have an OEM OS 9.2.1 disc but I can't boot from it (pretty sure that's a hardware restriction)."

It's been a while since I was an OS9 user, but maybe something here may help you.

In times past (when the "classic" OS was the ONLY os) it wasn't really necessary to "install" a system using the installer app.

You could simply do a "finder copy" of an existing system folder and get a bootable machine. You might not have _all_ the components of the system, but you would have enough to get booted. I'm thinking there may be "enough there" to make Classic usuable for your client.

Put the 9.2.1 disc you have into the optical drive and see what comes up on the desktop (running OS 10.4.x)

It should mount, and if you start browsing around, you will probably find a "System Folder" someplace.

Try a simple "drag to copy" to copy it to the ROOT level of the 10.4 target volume. That is to say, it should be copied to the same location as the OS X "system" folder (only it will be named "system folder" and _should_ have a "9" visible on the folder icon.

Next, open the newly-copied System Folder and check to see if the following files are present (again, at the "first level" after you open the folder):
    - Classic
    - Classic Support
    - Classic Support UI

OS X needs these files to boot up classic "within" X.

If they are not there, they are "obtainable". Let us know what you find.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I had to look it up to be sure, but according to EveryMac.com this is the last model of iBook and is not capable of booting OS 9, but is capable of running Classic under OS X 10.4 Tiger. I believe that the Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test disc is only include with the restore discs that are included with Macs, it's not a part of the retail OS X discs.

6. KeyserSoze828 thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent idea. Copied the OS9 "system folder" to the root hard drive location next to the "system" folder with the X on it. The same folder contains the Library etc. Attached two screen shots, one of the root folder (no 9 on the "system folder" after the drag and drop) and the other screen shot is the contents of the OS 9 "system folder". I do not see - Classic - Classic Support and - Classic Support UI though...

I stopped here.

One note - I am running 10.4 (not 10.4.11). Have not updated software since the fresh install. Not sure if that would make a difference but thought I would reiterate that anyway.

Thank you so much for the help fishrrman! I think I'm getting closer. :)

Attached Files:

7. KeyserSoze828, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

KeyserSoze828 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for this info Dew. I think I own the "Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test" disc but I can't locate it since my last move. :eek: PM'ing you now about a G+ invite. :cool:

EDIT. Maybe I haven't been a member here for long enough to PM?

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

My email address is in my profile, if you can't PM you can send me a email message.

I've got a G4 iMac running 10.4.11 and Classic, I could either send you or upload the Classic support files if you need them.

9. KeyserSoze828 thread starter macrumors newbie

Email is a great idea but I only see links to your G+ page and your profile page here. It must hide email addys for a certain time period or until I post enough...

I don't seem to have the classic support files that Fishrrman mentioned when I drag and drop the OS9 system folder... What would be the easiest way for me to get those files from you? I really appreciate the help. You da man.

10. DewGuy1999, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

See your PMs for a link to the files.

11. KeyserSoze828 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update - Tried copying the files that DewGuy sent. Computer began to boot classic but gave an error that the system files had to be copied from the original media. I may have messed up something between the two copies I put on but I'm going to get the additional hardware disc and try that route.

Thanks all. I'll update again once this is all resolved.

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Sorry to hear that didn't work. Hope you have better luck with the disc.