Customised iMac G3?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacintoshMaster, Jul 22, 2010.

1. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Hi there,
    Could I make my own computer in an iMac G3 casing and CRT screen?
    I would like an intel core duo etc... I would like it to run mac - what parts would I need?

Reason for doing this: I think the iMac G3 looks AMAZING!!!!!

Thanks,
    John.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could try it with a used Mac mini, but you may not be able to connect the GPU to the CRT correctly.

Have you got any experience with that level of computer maintenance and customisation?

3. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It's been done before, there used to be a few guides from where people had done it before, but they're no longer up.

It's definitely do-able though, if you put in a TFT screen there's more than enough room for all the mac mini internals, but you'll need a fair amount of knowledge in order to get it to be awesome.

5. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

People talk about this often, it shouldn't be that hard. The original ones had some type of DVI(?) interface that ran from the CRT to the board, all you would have to is find out how your going to power the CRT. Maybe take it to a local TV Repairman and have him rewire the power cord (that would have originally connect to the board too). Slip a mini in, connect it to the Screen and close it up. Or even extract the mini and some how mount it to the original tray, but remember the ports are always going to be a problem, but hey thats why they put a little door on the side to cover it up.