Customising icons

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by R94N, May 31, 2010.

1. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Hi, I have noticed that many Mac users customise their application and folder icons and change them from the standard ones. I was wondering how they do this and where I can see the different icons that I could have instead of the standard icons. At the moment I just have the standard icons and I'm looking to change them if I can.

I'm trying to just customise everything about my computer's interface so I was also wondering where I can find the Apple backgrounds (Where's there's an Apple logo in the middle and different colours and textures and backgrounds, not the standard backgrounds). I would prefer a proper website rather than just a Google search, so I can come back to it. If there aren't any good Apple background sites around, any site with good landscape/texture backgrounds would be great.

Thanks!

2. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

That's what I was asking. I'm not sure myself, that's why I was posting.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

For every 300 users who customize icons and have no problems, and therefore do not post here for help fixing the mess they've created, one does.

(estimated # of successful customizers - I've no way of knowing the actual number, but there are regular posts of those with problems.)

4. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

I have noticed that many people use a program called CandyBar to modify their icons - it would be cool but you need to download the program and only then it's just a demo - you need to pay to get the full version so I don't think I'll bother.

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You can't spare $29 for a great piece of software?

You can modify your icons the manual way of course. There is no need to buy the software, it just simplifies the process.

6. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

LiteIcon is a good free alternative to CandyBar and Dockulicious is a great site packed with dock designs.

Also, just searching Google Images for (example) "Firefox Icons" or whichever app you're looking for usually throws up some great finds.

IMO there's making your Mac a little more 'you' and then there's just going too far, its the latter that often get into trouble, deleting system files without knowing etc.

7. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

No, unless I scrounge off my parents :D

8. soms macrumors 6502

soms

You can easily do it for free:

-Find the App you want to change the icon of
    -Find the new icon
    -Right click the App and select "show package contents"
    -Click contents
    -Click resources
    -Find the icon you need to replace, and voila

9. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

Thanks for all your messages and suchlike everyone. It's been really helpful :) This forum is really busy!