Customising Yosemite install on new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kaiser Phoenix, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I just recently bought a new Retina 15inch MBP (Couldnt wait for skylake...) and I have to admit I have been out of the game a while. I recall I used to be able to customise my OS install like removing irrelevant drivers and language packs, can I still do this? I tried going into recovery mode but it seems I can only just install it and cant change anything.

Thank you in advance.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

What for?

AFAIK none exist for Yosemite, unless monolingual's developper updated his app.

3. Kaiser Phoenix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your reply, I just wanted to check if I could cut out unnecessary stuff out form the default installtion! As you can see Ive been out of the game along time !!

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Take my post with a grain of salt, I haven't really researched this in a while either.

Like I said, there used to be an app called Monolingual that could do this after the fact without going through setup. But I do not think it supports anything past 10.9.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Just a caution note: Make sure you have a good, verified backup before trying any customizing. Just in case the OS gets damaged if an important file is removed. A bootable clone on an external drive might be best so you get back up quickly by booting to the external drive (BTW that is a good way to test for a good backup). My suggestion is for just in case the OS in your MBP will not start up after removing some files.

I'm sorry, but I also do not know how to remove unnecessary files like the old days (OS 9). Hopefully someone else can respond that has experience with your question.

6. Kaiser Phoenix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you guys because before when you do a fresh install, even back in the days of Leopard etc you can remove loads of stuff like languages, printer drivers, etc BEFORE you did the install. Like it was a checklist of stuff that you can choose. Now it seems like you just install it or not, nothing to configure....