Customization of Touchbar with a Photo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, May 8, 2017.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I have a small picture that I would love to be displayed at the right-most side of my Macbook Pro Touchbar at all times. Is something like this do-able? The way I am thinking of this to work is either:

1- No matter what application I am in, the "small picture" would always be displayed on the rightmost side of the touchbar.
    2- If #1 can't be done, then make it so that aside from applications that have custom touchbars, the picture would be always displayed on touchbars that are "default"/not taken over by an existing application that is open and uses touchbar for custom commands.

2. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

You can do this with BetterTouchTool. You can make a button that has the picture you want as an icon. It doesn't have to do anything and you can set it up so it's always at the right-most side. You can tweak the size of the button and possibly get what you want. However, you should probably try it first and see if it suits you, I think they have a free trial.

3. Starfyre, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017

Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Have you or anyone had experience using BetterTouchTool? What did you do with it? Was it easy to use?

4. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I use it all the time, but mostly for trackpad gestures in Photoshop (BTT is not just for the customization of the Touch Bar, it's for all kinds of inputs). As for the Touch Bar, I made a secondary set of buttons that I activate with a nearby key, so I use them together with the ones already in Photoshop. It's pretty cool, as you can bind specific key sequences, even Apple Scripts to the TB. It actually unlocks the full potential of the Touch Bar.

For example, even though I use keyboard shortcuts a lot, I keep mixing the Zoom to Fit and Zoom to 100% shortcuts in Photoshop, so I just assigned them to the Touch Bar.

Is it easy to use? Depends on the user, really. If you want the basic stuff, it's pretty easy, for advanced combinations you have to tinker a bit and it goes into that power-user teritorry.

You should definitely try it and see if it suits your needs - there is a trial there, so you can check it out. If you don't like it, just delete it - that's it.

5. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Better Touch Tool is the very first utility I install on a new macOS installation. For me, it's absolutely essential.

6. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

What a gem. Does it allow you do do things like execute scripts? (i.e. Python)? This looks like a gem.