Customize a non jailbroken ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sdbax8, Oct 7, 2008.

1. sdbax8 macrumors newbie

Why aren't there any apps to customize a non jailbroken ipod touch?

2. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

Well...apps that mess with any other settings other than itself within the app isn't allowed, I believe. I don't know how to explain it. I don't even know if my explanation made sense.

3. sdbax8 thread starter macrumors newbie

A jailbroken ipod touch can be customized, right? Why won't Apple allow customization of the touch?

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Because the SDK (Software Developer's Kit) rules specify that any app cannot change anything outside of said app; in other words, apps are not allowed to affect the functioning of the iPod. If Apple changed the rules so that customizing could occur, then developers could wreak havoc by allowing their apps to affect the way in which others perform.

5. sdbax8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the response/answer, and I understand what you are saying.
    I am a novice at this stuff.
    Does customization of a jailbroken touch and its apps mess with each other?
    I would think that there are ways to lock one app from another.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If the app is programed to mess with other apps or the way the iPod works, then yes, it will mess with it. And this is what Apple is trying to avoid, hence why they have rules that apply to their SDK.

7. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

Well I'm sure Apple can come up with more customization options...but knowing them, they probably won't. Apple appears as more of a simple but innovative company. Simple designs, innovative technology. Letting you do flashy things to your iPod would be un-Apple-esque I suppose.

8. sdbax8 thread starter macrumors newbie

No themes on a non jailbroken touch?
    No way to lock one app from another?
    I'm sorry, I just don't get it.
    Should I be afraid to jailbrake my touch?
    Can I do everything on a jailbroken touch that I can with a non JB touch?

9. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

All it does is let you customise the home page theme (which is what you were asking about), and also lets you install 3rd party apps. Everything already on there (all the Apple-made apps, like Mail, Safari, iTunes, App Store, etc) will remain on the iPod also. The introduction of the App Store has pretty much made jailbreaking pointless as most of the developers of the apps for jailbroken iPods ended up making official versions for the App Store anyway.

Jailbreaking voids the warranty, and even if you restore to the original firmware the iPod keeps a list of everything that was installed on it (so it will list any 'jailbreak' apps you put on there). If you have to take it in to be serviced by Apple, and they run diagnostics and find that you had jailbroken it at one time, then you will be refused any service under the warranty. It's happened before.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There are still a number of things that only jailbroken apps would do. For example, there is a jailbreak app that was released recently that allows other apps to run in the background. I'm finally able to play a game / browse the web while listening to Pandora radio! :) Oh, and podcaster, which was denied entry into the app store by Apple, was also released as a jailbreak app. I believe Netshare is also available for jailbroken iPhones.

Where did you hear this? Do you have a link for your source? It's been my understanding that restoring to the original firmware wipes everthing on the ipod, putting it back into the same state it was as when it left the factory.

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6135928&postcount=4

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Don't jailbreak. Apple put barriers around this for a reason. Respect that and use it as a media player, not toy that you flash to all your friends. Waste time in my opinion.

14. Pixellated macrumors 65816

1-Correct
    2-Correct
    3-No, just restore if anything goes wrong - You CANNOT brick your touch.
    4-Absolutely

15. Roby718 macrumors newbie

Well, i found an exception to that

Look at the 'Spell Number' app, if you put a certain number in it adds an emoji keyboard to the Japanese keyboard list.