Customize Alert Tones

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gdkid2010, Feb 3, 2012.

1. gdkid2010 macrumors regular

I have jailbroken and I'm looking for a way to customize the alert tone for certain apps, such as Twitter, Google Voice, etc. Is there a tweak in Cydia for this? Or can I SSH into my phone and change it myself? I've done some Google searching for it and have found nothing except TonesFX Pro - which does not work.

Has anyone been able to do this/know how to do this?

Thanks!

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

If you're on iOS 5 you can already customize the majority of the alert tones.

Tones played by other apps are not managed by iOS itself but actually by the app, so you'd have to edit the app in order to change what tone plays when receiving a notification through it.

Cheers

3. gdkid2010 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I am on iOS 5 and I would have to disagree that there is the ability to customize the "majority" of alert tones.

I'm mainly looking to customize Twitter and Google Voice alerts. And I would have to agree that something within the app needs to be changed. I'm just not aware of where that change needs to be made. Any help or clues would be appreciated :)

4. awtryau89 macrumors regular

Your going to need to research this. It will require you to SSH into these app folders and replace the alert sound with your preferred tone. I usually just rename the tone I want to the app tone name and then add "old" to the original tone so it disables it. Not enough space in this thread for all the ins and outs.

5. gdkid2010 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm familiar with SSH and I've already located the app's folder. Just want to know the specific file where the alert sound is located

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Don't know how ssh works, but via ifile

Var/stash/library/ringtones

7. gdkid2010 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I know where the tones are located. I just need to change what tone specific apps use

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I've changed the stock sounds on the phone. If you know where the sounds are then why don't you download the files and then figure out which one you want to change? Then put your custom files in their place with the same name.

9. gdkid2010 thread starter macrumors regular

I just don't know what file the alert setting is in amongst the app folder

10. gdkid2010 thread starter macrumors regular

As I said in my first post, that does not work

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

The OP is asking what to change in an apps folder to get it to use a specific ringtone other than what it usually uses. I'd like to know too please.

12. tateu macrumors 6502

If you're trying to change the alert sound for a 3rd party app, then you have to figure out the location and filename yourself. Those details are up to the developer of each app. It's possible that they could be using a system sound or they could be using a custom sound located in the app's own directory in the form of a caf, aif, mp3, wav or aac file.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This is the correct answer ^^

You will have to do each app inside it's application folder or it's preferences folder

14. MindArchr macrumors newbie

MindArchr

An easier way to do it now is to use PushTone. It lets you customize (and override default) tones (provided the app allows for one). You configure by going under Notifications, selecting the app, and picking the sound of your choice. I desperately needed this for Google Voice, and can confirm it works as it should.

[​IMG]

15. normanbates macrumors regular

I can't find Google Voice in the App Store :/. Also other apps aren't showing the 'Push Tone' option in the notification centre :/