customize linux distro for imac g4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by appledestroyer, Jan 26, 2014.

1. appledestroyer macrumors newbie

I got an ilamp from someone and decided to set it up for my younger brother. Whatever osx was on it got really messed up to the point of not being usable. So I got another idea, and decided to install mintppc. I tried 11, but had a few problems that I couldn't figure out. I got another idea however, and am now hoping it works. What if I installed some other well working linux distro and put another lightweight window manager like jwm and a light desktop environment like rox (it seems to be the best really lightweight desktop environment, big gap after lxde) and maybe added any small missing things (not apt though, that has to be preinstalled, otherwise it shows that the os is missing other very useful utilities) to make a very lightweight, but still useful os? Thanks in advance for any help! :)

P.S.Also, little less neccesary side question, could anyone help with the desktop being stuck in about 8 bits of color, maybe 16.

2. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

You will notice a big change in speed, especially if using something like LXDE or similar. Unity is a no-go on smaller G4 machines, because it really works the graphics card, and it slows down the system considerably. I would try out Lubuntu 12.04 or 11.04 if I were you, but that's mostly because I'm just a Lubuntu person when it comes to Linux :) Here is another thread that might help you: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1682340

3. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I second using Lubuntu (use on my pc's)

Try downloading the "alternate version" (non live version with simple install steps)

The big issue I have had in the past with using linux on ppc's is they get very hot! (even with a basic x manager)

Lubuntu version 13.10

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Alternate_ISO

4. appledestroyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies! I'll try that. Got it downloaded and as soon as I'm done with this post I'll burn it and try it. Also, in case I accidentaly took the cd I left in there out, is there a way to open the cd drive on boot with a pc keyboard? That way I don't have to leave things in there to open it or use a paperclip.

5. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Hold the mouse button down as soon as you hear the chime, and keep holding it until the CD pops out.

Hope this helps ...

Cheers :)

Hugh