Customize look of menubar in Leopard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrsx, Jun 2, 2014.

1. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Is there an app or another way to customize the look of the menubar (NOT the dock) in OS X Leopard? I've seen some like Erik's BlackOSX theme, with a black bar and white icons, so I assume it can be done :p

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, it's simply a matter of editing the various image files and then repairing permissions.

I'm not sure where they reside, but it would probably be in the System>Library>CoreServices folder. Or maybe frameworks. IDK, it's been a LONG time since I've done any edits.

Using a theme is just an easy way to automate all of this.

3. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Cool. Do you know of any apps that work? I think ShapeShifter works under Tiger only, and I recall hearing something about another app but I can't remember.
    Thanks!

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Magnifique will modify it. Remember that you want menubar transparency switched off though. Otherwise you can spend from now until eternity trying to make the menubar itself a different color and it will never happen.

I spent a year futzing with this before I figured that out. Once I turned transparency off I had the black menu bar that the theme I like advertised. It doesn't matter if your Mac can support menu bar transparency or not (my Macs do not) the option just has to be turned off.

5. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Thanks - just pulled Magnifique off of the PowerPC Archive!

6. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Hmmm, for some odd reason there isn't even an option to change the menubar transparence in System Prefs. I thought there was?

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Download the Secrets prefpane and use that to change it. That's the only way I found it. Not even Onyx or TinkerTool gives you the option, they only let you choose gray or white.

8. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

The app has me sorta confused on how to change the look of the menubar.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm sorry, I was thinking you were wanting to apply a theme once I mentioned that that was why using themes was easier. Magnifique applys themes. I don't think you can use it to individually alter things. You have to that on the resource level by modifying the image files if you are only wanting to change certain things.

That's as much as I know. I've changed icons from black to white and that's about it. How the Black OSX theme modifys the menubar to make it solid black, IDK.

10. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Alright, I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks for your help!