Customize Notification Sounds?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by meds, Aug 2, 2010.

1. meds macrumors newbie

Is there an app available to customize notification sounds? I know that you are given choices for ringtones and SMS's, but I'd like to use a different sound for "new mail" than the one I'm presently stuck with. Wife also has an iPhone so it's impossible to know who's phone has just beeped.

I really don't want to get the thing jailbroken, which is what all the Google searches tell me I need to do.

Thanks.

2. steeez macrumors member

You can customize your ringtones using various apps/programs, but that's basically as much as you can change without jailbreaking. When you jailbreak you have access to all the iPhones files, thus allowing you to alter sms, voicemail, mail, etc sounds.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Ringtones is the ONLY (currently) you can add custom sounds to as right now without jailbreaking. I use audiko.net/ to create my ringtones form any sound file and them add them directly to itunes.

if you jailbreak you can add any sound to any event on the phone.

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

As the others have said, unfortunately you can only add custom ringtones to the iPhone; other system sounds are stuck on their default settings. However, you can use your custom ringtones as alarms, and as alert sounds in some 3rd party applications.