Customized drive icon?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pctechtv, Jun 10, 2015.

1. pctechtv macrumors member

I just plugged in a G-Technologies product and I see that it uses it own customized drive icon. I think this can be very useful when plugging in various hard drives. I want this ability to be able to identify drives that have similar names. Does anybody know how this can be accomplished.

gdrivecustom.jpg

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hi,

Right click the drive on the Desktop and select "Get Info." Next, you need Icons, and you can virtually use anything, even a random image. There are lots of free custom icons online, or you can make your own.

Once you have Icons that you want to use, pull up the Get Info screen of the icon itself, and select its preview in the top left corner area of the window to outline it in blue. Ctrl+C to copy it, and then go back to the Get Info screen of the drive and select its picture, and Ctrl+V to paste.

Hope this helps.

3. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

all of my drives have custom logos... I like to make them look what they are.... though on my iMac i have two external drives with transformer names (Jetfire and Metroplex) and the icon is the drive look with a likeness of the transformer on its side.

4. pctechtv thread starter macrumors member

5. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

I distinguish between always connected data partitions, backup partitions, mobile partitions and media partitions with custom icons. Works well for me.