Customized Macs at the Apple store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by .:Meh:., May 29, 2009.

1. .:Meh:. macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if they offer upgrades in the Apple retail stores and not just online? I'm buying a Mac Mini tomorrow to set up as a media center. I want to upgrade the RAM to 2GB since it was only $45, but I want to pick the computer up at the store instead of ordering it online. And for the suggestions of upgrading to 4GB for $70 by myself, does that void the warranty?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I could be wrong, but I think Apple Stores can upgrade RAM (so you can buy the computer then buy more RAM off them and request that they put it in) - they just don't do built to order machines (different hard drives, adding a remote, mouse, etc)

And no, upgrading the RAM yourself doesn't void the warranty - that's why Apple tends to put it in an easy to reach place inside the computer and even gives instructions on how to replace it yourself. :)

3. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I upgraded to 4 gb myself on my whitebook and it has still gone in for repairs so im guessing it does not

4. leavingwave macrumors newbie

try your local apple authorized dealer.. they should have the rams in stock and should install it for free.. opening up a mini can be a pain. doing a ram install by yourself won't void the warranty. not unless u snap something off the board. enjoy your mini..

5. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

You're buying the 120GB Mac mini (MB463LL/A) right?
    I would say that Apple would have Mac Mini's of that model with 2GB Memory.
    Strictly, I think that upgrading memory yourself in a Mac Mini is likely to void your warranty. :)

6. .:Meh:. thread starter macrumors newbie

Isn't the RAM on the Mac Mini under almost everything? And I'm not sure I'm confident enough to open the thing up since there's no RAM tray like the iMacs and the Macbooks.

7. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

So, you'll be best off letting Apple do it for you. The last thing you want is to damage your new Apple Computer.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

The last time I bought at the Apple store they upgraded the ram for me in the store while I waited.

9. icafelawrence macrumors newbie

Yep, you're absolutely right. Ram on a mini is much more difficult to get to and Apple does not consider it a "customer installable part" so if you try it yourself, and mess something up, it won't be covered under your warranty to fix it, and yes, it might void your entire warranty completely. Buy it with the extra ram or as someone else suggested, take it to a local apple authorized repair center/reseller.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doesn't void the warranty on the machine, but if your new RAM is faulty AppleCare won't cover that. Also if you damage the RAM slot or anything else while you're installing it you won't get warranty coverage.