Customized touch from KnightCreations?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by brandon.vong, Jun 21, 2008.

1. brandon.vong macrumors regular

Does anyone have experience with KnightCreations? I really like the cool titanium cutomized look for the iPod touch and would like some input if I should get it or not. Thanks!

http://www.gigapascal.com/index.html

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

isnt the ipod touch expensive enough already?

3. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

That was a completely useless post.

Anyway, I checked out their site, and I'd say go for it. They look cool, and if you don't like it you could probably break even with it on eBay.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'd stay away from that. Especially considering this page:

http://www.gigapascal.com/Sightings.html

The URL title doesn't make sense, either. All of those pictures could easily have been made by editing pictures found on the internet.

5. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

6. kleo macrumors regular

lol dude i have read a bunch of news on their products (all positive) over the past few months. A quick google search turned up the following:

http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/ipod-iphone/black-iphone-custom/

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/02/weird_plasma_thingamachine_creates_the_sleekest_iphone_ever-2.html

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/02/24/mad-scientist-will-pimp-your-iphone/

so ya, dont be so quick to h8. If i had a touch id totally be into this, would you go for the textured back or the glossy one? i cant decide.

7. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I would hesitate doing something so permanent to my iPod Touch. If you want to prevent scratches, get bestskinever or something similar.
    However, if you really like the look, then I would say go for it. I don't like that the whole back would be one colour though, covering the :apple: and the small inscriptions. It just looks so plain.

8. brandon.vong thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about leaning towards the textured back one? It looks different and I like the look of it (from what I can tell in the photos). Though I don't know if it is quite worth $100?

Also, I'm thinking about maybe adding the BSE on top of the KnightCreations touch. Maybe it's overkill?

9. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Are you thinking of the gold one or the black one? I think the gold one looks kinda nice now, but after a month or so you'll get tired of it. The black one looks pretty nice though. If you really like it, I'd say go for it. It's like getting a case for your iPod Touch. I already spent like $70 on two different cases.

Now that I re-read the description, the finish only prevents fingerprints and not scratches. So BSE is not a bad idea. It's pretty cheap and it protects your screen as well.

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

im all over that gold back like a fat kid on a cupcake, the question is, can i live with my ipod for that much time?

11. brandon.vong thread starter macrumors regular

I'm leaning towards the black one. The black seems to radiate a more refined look which I like. I'm not too fond of gold... possibly due to the "flashiness" of it? Well, when and if I do get it done, I'll post pictures up for the curious.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm not hating them. I'm saying that it's pretty silly that:
    1. Their URL doesn't make sense in regard to their brand name.
    2. They don't have any actual photos of it.
    3. They're not running their own payment system.
    4. There's nothing listed in their media page.

Seeing as he doesn't own the production equipment either, it's seems like a risk as access could just be snatched away from him for doing this. I'll let someone else be the guinea pig.

Also, one of your links doesn't work.

13. kleo macrumors regular

am i the only one that likes the black textured back allot!? Maybe you could ask if they would sell you just the back and you do it yourself. Like they have for the iPhone. Then you wouldnt have to worry about sending in your iTouch and we could all see what it looks like!

14. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

15. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

my what? Italian ipod touch ripoff? this is made for the apple ipod touch not some silly Italian thing....

also, if anyone gets this done let us know, id like to know the turnaround time, etc

16. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Yea I agree the black is classier than the gold, and will withstand the test of time. It might shine more under light as well since the shine of the gold itself may cover some of the shine that the "texture" creates.
    I'll certainly be excited to see the pictures!

17. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

For all those who wish to do it themselves (PS: i sent this email THIS MORNING and just got a reply, me thinks good coustomer service)

What i sent
    What they wrote
    me thinks i may get one. my only issue is i bought applecare for it... and im not to eager to void the warranty... but hey, jailbreaking does the same, no? it is just reversable, and this isnt.

18. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I know its a pay service to get the iPod customized but I would never send my iPod to anyone but apple or the people I bought my touch off, I just couldn't trust the risk

19. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

which is why i emailed them, my problem is that it voids the warranty, and therefore, you have no help if it dies....

20. kleo macrumors regular

You could just buy the parts and keep your old back. If something goes wrong just pop back on the old one and send it in to :apple: problem solved.

Im going to see if i can do this to my nano, they used to offer this but it appears its been discontinued.

21. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Can't they tell that the back has been opened though due to the larger gap or missing glue or something?

22. brandon.vong thread starter macrumors regular

Good question... hopefully someone has had experience with them would give input?

23. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

My guess is that :apple: is no dumb corporation, they WILL know if the backing has been tampered with. BUT if you go to a genius bar, get a dumb one, and you will be fine....

24. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Once the genius reopens the back I think even the dumb ones would probably notice that it has already been opened. It's probably a lot easier to open one that has already been opened because it is not as tight.

25. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

but when you open it you warp the back, but if you replace it with a new one, it will be just as tight