Customizing "For You" page in News app - possible?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by literarylottie, Sep 17, 2016.

1. literarylottie macrumors newbie

literarylottie

So after reading many, many tech news articles going on about how great the revamped News app is, I got around to fooling with it, and I'm not impressed. It's showing me a bunch of things I'm not interested in and never asked to follow/have never indicated I wanted to see.

For instance, Apple touts that "your For You feed is now sorted into helpful groups, based on channels and topics you follow." My first two groups that I see upon opening the app are "Sports" and "Fashion," neither of which I care about, or follow topics related to, and have ever indicated that I wanted to see news stories about. It annoys me that I have to scroll through a bunch of news I don't want to see to get to what I care about.

Is there no way to edit what "helpful groups" you're shown on the For You page? Can I not at least change the order grouped news is shown to me (like, at least show me World Politics and Technology before Sports)? Why is Apple arbitrarily deciding that these are the topics I care about and want to see first?

Also, is there no way to remove the "Top Stories" and "Trending Stories" widgets from the For You page? I don't care about what other people are reading, and I *definitely* don't care about what new stories Apple thinks I should be reading. It's bad enough that the Top Stories on my lock screen are often "News Editors' Picks." Stop picking my news for me, Apple. I want to see breaking news and you're showing me how to use a vegetable spiralizer, FFS.

For an app that's supposedly super customizable and much better at anticipating what you want to read than the old app, there sure is a LOT of crap I have to sort through.

2. MoonageDaydream macrumors newbie

You have to add things to the favorites tab at the bottom of the app. Go to the Search tab at the bottom or tap on explore and you can search or choose the things you want to add to favorites. The For You will then be populated with stories that are mostly from your favorites or related to them.