Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pkulak

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
Yeah, it should work. I just did it by just copying over the entire guest folder to the English template. That was a lot quicker than copying over individual bits.

alms

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Boston
Root

I got it to work. The trick was actually becoming root (su root) rather than trying to make the changes using sudo.

kwschnautz

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
This works for Lion, but add 1 step.

I attempted you guide (http://www.michaelsmac.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=394) for making a custom default account. It works quite well!

But with OS X Lion, I needed to change things just a little...

Lion keeps apps open when you log out, and reopens when you log back in. In order to prevent terminal (or other apps) from reopening while making tweaks, I had to change the process slightly.

1. Customize your space.
2. Once you've modified the guest account as desired, close all apps.
3. Be sure to delete things like browsing history (you were surely looking at that webpage for guidance, and had safari open.)
4. Next, switch users (don't log out) into your admin account.
5. Finally, now open terminal in YOUR account and do the last steps:
$ rm -R "/System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library"/
$ cp -R Library/ "/System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library"/

This will prevent the guest from having apps re-open upon login.

Reactions: malofx

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
I attempted you guide (http://www.michaelsmac.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=394) for making a custom default account. It works quite well!

Lion keeps apps open when you log out, and reopens when you log back in. In order to prevent terminal (or other apps) from reopening while making tweaks, I had to change the process slightly.

1. Customize your space.
3. Be sure to delete things like browsing history (you were surely looking at that webpage for guidance, and had safari open.)

I tried this, the settings worked but still whenever I log back into the guest account it opens the windows that I had open when I was using terminal (from the first site mentioned)

Is there a way to reset this as I have turned guest account off and on but still brings up the old windows.

bhuiyana

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2012
request for clarification

I have done so according to the guideline, however, when I login as a guest, it opens up the terminal as it was open during the configuration time. Is there anyway how to disable the terminal when i login?

Thanks...:)

1. Customize your space.

alms

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Boston
I have done so according to the guideline, however, when I login as a guest, it opens up the terminal as it was open during the configuration time. Is there anyway how to disable the terminal when i login?

Thanks...:)

To fix this problem don't run the terminal in the guest account. Set up the guest account as you want it (including having apps opened that you want opened when the guest account is opened) and then switch back to your regular account. Run the terminal from there.

ixxxus

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
Not getting it to work..10.6.8 - Modify User Account Problem?

Hi Folks!

I just tried all your Instructions to Change Preferences in the Guest Account in my Snow Leopard 10.6.8....but it doesnt work at all

- Done my Modifications in Guest Account
- Start Terminal in Guest Account AND also tryed in Admin Account (Switched User)
- Copy and Paste the Terminal Commands as given in the Instructions (Michaels Mac Website)
- Not getting any Error Messages...

NOTHING HAPPENS IN GUEST ACCOUNT - ANY CHANGES LOST AFTER RE-LOGIN...

Please Help...as i drive crazy now...

kwschnautz

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
To fix this problem don't run the terminal in the guest account. Set up the guest account as you want it (including having apps opened that you want opened when the guest account is opened) and then switch back to your regular account. Run the terminal from there.

That was exactly what I was implying. Sorry if it wasn't as transparent as I wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.