Customizing Leopard/PPC Apps

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by xtempo, Jan 27, 2014.

1. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

Are there any must haves? I have used Candy Bar (which finally is now free:cool:)
    I have installed growl and menumeter.

For Candybar I have changed my icons but not all of them. Are there any ways I can change them and are there any that I can never change?

Are there any growl apps for hardware montioring and itunes functionality that can be run on a PPC?

Are there any that you recommend for someone who is both a noob but has had experience with the mac over the years from the old days of CDs being but into caddys and then into the drive and of Macs in almost every school room playing the early educational games.

2. RedCroissant Suspended

I personally like GeekTool. It’s a fun way to display your system stats, along with other fun stuff.

Game emulators are a must-have for me. I downloaded the NES, SNES, Sega, and Atari emulators and had fun playing a bunch of games that I hadn’t even looked at in years. All you need after that is a custom gaming controller that connects via usb and you’re golden.

1. Carbon Copy Cloner
    2. Secrets preference pane
    3. ONYX
    4. Deeper
    5. Scroll reverser (makes the scrolling work like OS X Lion and above)
    6. RealPlayer is a good one for media downloading from various sites that can download various formats
    7. Temperature Monitor (app that monitors temps, of course)
    8. AppCleaner

As far as changing icons…find icons or pictures that you like that are either in .png. or icns formats and then just copy and paste from preview. Select all, Copy. then select “get info” for the application that you want to change the icon for, and then right click(option-click) on the picture and then command-v to paste whatever you want to be the icon.

I would start with that.

3. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

thanks I'll look into that.

Do you have a link for Geektool? I can't seem to find a PPC one

4. RedCroissant Suspended

Yeah, here's the link for Geek Tool.

5. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

Geektool is hard to use. I've tried to figure it out. Is there some FAQ doc?

Do you know of any iTunes script that works? I tried to install one but all I get is code in a window.

6. RedCroissant Suspended

It only seems hard at first! Honest. the same site for the link has examples, screenshots of what you can do with it, and a BUNCH of people have uploaded their own scripts that you can either download and load up, or copy and paste from.

Most of the posters also give directions on how to adjust the script depending on your machine. Here's the link to the site for the scripts and other helpful stuff.

7. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

this is what I did I downloaded a file .gelt and here is a pic of it. So I must be doing something wrong.
    [​IMG]

8. RedCroissant Suspended

well, what information do you want to display?

9. xtempo, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I am trying to do itunes. What else can I display?

EDIT: I read a page and it said that if I double click on the.glet file it would automatically be added to geektool. It doesn't work on my machine also I have tried downloading 3.0 since it said for SL and ealier but I could only download 2.1.2 so could that be a problem?

10. RedCroissant Suspended

ok, I'll look for the iTunes thing, but you can display all sorts of info. You can:

1. display your system information
    2. I/O stats
    3. temperature
    4. display the weather without having to use dashboard
    5. picture slides
    6. date/time
    7. disk health and free/used space

and even more. some of the examples on the Tynsoe projects page are pretty cool and what made me want to get into it a bit. At one point, I had a very nice TRON theme on my Mac with a col background and all my info displayed with a TRON style font and it looked pretty cool.

11. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I think why I am having trouble with this is that I don't know anything about the command line. Which is probably why all I get is code in the boxes.

12. RedCroissant Suspended

yah, but at least the basic ones can be copied and pasted from sites and then you can at least have some customization that's really cool to look at.

13. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I couldn't find any solution on there. What exactly do I put in the command. All I see are the files and nothing on the site to indicate what I should do with it.

Do I copy and paste assuming I can open .gelt into geektool in the command section or what would I put there?