Customizing new macbook for large amounts of photos...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LDGrillo, Mar 10, 2015.

1. LDGrillo macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I currently have a Macbook from '09 and it's starting to go south (turning off for no reason, not charging when I want it to, freezing up A LOT).

Processor: 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Since it's tax return season I will have the funds to purchase a new notebook but I want to make sure I customize it properly for the amount of photos I will be storing on it. It now has about 25,000 photos/videos. And it says it's up to it's limit for storage space. And I'm sure the fact that the storage is almost full is a contributing factor for the attitude my notebook gives me, nonetheless I'm over it.

When I customize my new notebook, what options should I pick in order for my new notebook to be able to hold more photos than just the 25,000 I currently have? I'm not too keen on computer lingo. I do have an external hard drive (1TB), so I have my stuff backed up, but I do like keeping my photos on my computer as well.

I am trying to go the least expensive route. I don't need the newest Macbook. I do l like the 13" screen, but still not sure which model to get.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sounds simple enough.

If your current 25,000 photos spills over and need to sit in the external, then add up your current internal storage plus the space it's taking on the external and that's the total amount of space you want on the new machine, assuming you insist on having everything online, add 50% for future-proofing.