Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Forgive me for not knowing the proper terminology...

I have a MacBook Pro running the latest Snow Leopard. I am the only user on my laptop. When I turn on my laptop, it just starts up and I am in. No login.

But I recently decided that I should increase my security a little by having the OS prompt me for my password upon waking up from sleep/screensaver.

Is there any way to customize the little, basic window that appears where I enter my password? Most forum entries discuss the login window, but I don't think that's what this is called. I'm not really logging in - just unlocking it.

I'd like to be able to customize the appearance of the window, the text, maybe make sounds if the wrong password is entered, etc. Main reason for this is for security purposes. If someone tries to use my laptop while it's sitting on my desk at work, I'd like to know (and would like him/her to know I know). Maybe hear it - maybe see some message.

Ideas? Possible? Thanks!

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Is there any way to customize the little, basic window that appears where I enter my password? Most forum entries discuss the login window, but I don't think that's what this is called. I'm not really logging in - just unlocking it.
It's the same window, however there really isn't much you can to customize it.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Are you sure? To me the login window looks large, maybe 5"x5" ,with images of the users and you get to choose which account you want to use (with buttons? not sure) if you have multiple users or if you want to login as a guest. Whereas the password prompt window is maybe 3"x2" and is fairly plain looking, just asking you to type in the password.

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
you can customize a lot of the things on the login window

to add custom text
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow LoginwindowText "Insert Text Here"

to change the default background change DefaultDesktop.jpg in /System/Library/CoreServices

to change the standard apple logo and and Mac OS X change the files applelogo.tif and MacOSX.tif in /System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/loginwindow.bundle/Contents/Resources

to change the window from displaying your computer's name by default
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow AdminHostInfo Time

you can replace Time with HostName, SystemVersion, SystemBuild, SerialNumber, IPAddress, or DSStatus to display them by default instead

here's my loginwindow with username and custom text blacked out

Attachments

• loginwindow.png
    loginwindow.png
    287 KB · Views: 86

TreeTop60

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Change background of login window?

you can customize a lot of the things on the login window

to add custom text
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow LoginwindowText "Insert Text Here"

to change the default background change DefaultDesktop.jpg in /System/Library/CoreServices

to change the standard apple logo and and Mac OS X change the files applelogo.tif and MacOSX.tif in /System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/loginwindow.bundle/Contents/Resources

to change the window from displaying your computer's name by default
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow AdminHostInfo Time

you can replace Time with HostName, SystemVersion, SystemBuild, SerialNumber, IPAddress, or DSStatus to display them by default instead

here's my loginwindow with username and custom text blacked out

Good instructions. One Q ... can I change the solid background fill of the login window? Would like to eliminate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.