Customizing The Dock With Kobhens

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeremybuff, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jeremybuff macrumors regular

This just might be an a short thread, but I have a question about customizing the dock using Candybar. I downloaded Mirage so that my dock would be completely transparent and then proceeded to change the default icons to Kobhen-style icons. I love the minimalist look, but I do have one question.

Like I said, I like the look of the new icons in the dock, but they don't look so hot in the rest of the system- the finder, etc. When I am in my applications folder they all look the same, which of course I knew would happen and knew would take a big part of the usability and intuitiveness out of the reason icons exist.. Is there anyway I can use Candybar or a similar application to change the icon ONLY when it is displayed in the dock, whilst keeping the default icons displayed everywhere else? It seems as though this is not possible, but if it is, please let me know! I have included a screenshot below if you are unsure of what Kobhens is.

[​IMG]

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well there is one way that I just messed around with and discovered would work.

If you first change the alias indicator in CandyBar to be blank (mine is a green dot so don't let that throw you off because I didn't change it to blank for this example) instead of the little arrow it would work as follows:

• Make an alias of the program you want to put in the dock
    • Paste the Kobhen icon you want onto the alias
    • Drag the alias to the dock
    • Trash the alias

If you have made the alias indicator blank, you will not be able to tell it from a regular program in the dock- and the original file can be left with the original icon.

Attached is a picture illustrating it- I made a copy of my iTunes onto the desktop for illustrative purposes, then made an alias of it. I then pasted the Kobhens icon on the alias, then drug it to the dock. In my example it can sit in the dock next to the original since it is a copy.

OK the description sucks, but the method works anyways and works fine!;) That is the only way I can think of to have the dock icon and original icon be different.

Attached Files:

3. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect!! Thank you so much for the help. I owe ya one!